• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I had the first standup with the new team this morning - they'd forgotten to send me the invite yesterday. Reference was made to future work once the MVP is done "after April" so I suspect I may be getting an extension when my contract ends at the start of February

Comment

Tea: chicken madras with rice and naan. Very tasty

Comment

After knocking off and before attending to cooking, I got a bit further through the Swift Data tutorial I'm following

The opal hunters were much as usual; I think we're getting near the point where I came in though

And later, S1E2 of Secrets of the London Underground in which they visited North End, aka Bull and Bush, the never-completed station beneath Hampstead Heath which was repurposed in the early days of the Cold War as the control room for the flood gates on the deep Tubes near the Thames. They talked a lot about how secret and unknown it is, though I've known about it since the 1980s, having read about it in Peter Laurie's book Beneath the City Streets. I always look out for it when I'm travelling on that stretch of the Northern Line

And then some more of H.G. Wells' short stories

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all, local time 1010

Cloudy but dry, although thunderstorms and rain forecast (it being monsoon season and all that). Currently 28 degrees ('feels like' 34) with a high of 31 expected.

Just finishing breakfast by the Chao Phraya river, watching all the comings and goings. Definitely a working river! Then off for a local tour that the hotel offers free to guests on a Wednesday morning.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start today, and getting windy late morning through to late afternoon. Currently 11°C with a high of 17°, and the barometers have bounced back at 1012/1020mB

There's a dead rat in the middle of the lawn, on the hedgerow side of the flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

There's a dead rat in the middle of the lawn, on the hedgerow side of the flowerbed
              The dead rat has vanished

About twenty minutes later, it was gone. It was definitely dead, as it lay out in the open for at least twenty minutes before that, not moving; I looked at it through the binoculars to confirm what it was, and its fur was all matted the way dead things' fur goes. And now it's just gone

I assume either a fox or cat or something has dragged it away, probably into the hedge, or a passing human has got rid of it somewhere. There are a few people who head out to work around that time in the morning, so it could be one of them noticed it and decided to remove it?

Comment

I admit it. I had it for breakfast.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday.

Today's dream was some sort of entrance exam.

Grey.

Dark.

Dreary.

Damp.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 18.1 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 17.5 deg in the leanto.

1021 mBar, 30.15 in Hg, 765.8 Torr, 14.808 psi, (down a tad from last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 75% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 16th of June 2019 NF was passing on wisdom from observations of his time at Age Concern in the 1980s, whereas BR14 was busy getting zenchuries and palis while moaning about it.

Woke this morning pain free from the back, got out of bed, unplugged the batphone charger from the plugblock & voila! out it fecking goes again.

So free of pain for a whole 37 seconds.

More ibuprofen gel and 400mg of tablets to make up for it.

Him next door has turned up for the first time in months, along with a small skip which he filled yesterday. Must be getting ready to sell the place.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine eventually replaced by light rain.

"They"'ve been cleaning the gutters on the hill up to the Ivy Tower. Who'd have thunk?

Along with replacing the inadequate underroad culvert with something a bit more reasonable.

Lunch: scrambled egg, 400mg ibuprofen etc.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about the HS2 debacle and someone whose house got stolen <click>.

Freecell score: 95%, running average:86% (85.7%).

Vacced the downstairs, principally the living room, junk room & kitchen/leanto since my back won't allow me to cart the cleaner upstairs.

Turns out that exactly 10 years ago, I also had a bad back, almost to the day.

More book.

Tea: there was tea.

Entertainment: PM. More tory bollox. It's never fecking ending.

JoP We're back on S6 so just snored through the 1st one, then read book.

Dan Do. Some impressive houses do exist in Wales. WTF do they get the money from? Not around here, I'll be bound.

The WWWC spouting uninneresting bollox about superhuman feats: read book instead.

Strange Evidence: more bolloxy bollox, some of it explained, some not.

Abandoned Engineering (assuming I've not watched it before). Air Studios on Montserrat. The Winter War in Finland and the Salpa Line. Some thing in Georgia built for some mad dictator.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 October 2023, 22:31.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Turns out the dead rat hasn't vanished - it's moved about ten feet further away and, whereas it was stretched out pointing towards the flower bed with its tail straight out behind it, it's now curled up. Still looks very dead. I suspect either somebody's dog dragged it but was called off, or perhaps the crows and magpies have been at it

Comment

Lunch has been the rest of the sweet chilli chicken bits, once again in a wholemeal bap with a bag of plain crisps

Out on the lawn, lunch for at least one of the magpies has been dead rat. Not sure if the crows have dropped in yet; one came swooping across to land somewhere on the roof above me while the magpie was feasting, then flew away, curving over the lawn on its way. I think they're aware of it, but any visits have happened while I wasn't looking

Comment

Working...
                      X