• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Spent a lot of time this morning repairing a toilet seat. Can life get any more exciting??
    No, I think you've reached the pinnacle of human existence there!

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was one of those things that everybody has seen but me: The Blair Witch Project (1999), a notable found footage success in its day. It has its moments, but I gather a lot of the hype around it at the time was built around the notion that it might actually be true. Now we know it isn't, it doesn't have so much of an impact

And then a rewatch of Elvis (2022) because I thought it was better than expected when I first watched it the other month, and I saw the American writer Joyce Carol Oates speaking well of it on Twitter the other week, so I thought I'd have another look; and it is, I reckon, a good film in that it gives a fuller picture of the man to those like me of the post-Elvis period, who thought he was mainly about shiny Las Vegas jumpsuits

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Sunny.

Dry.

Blue sky.

Colder at 17.2 deg in here, 17.5 deg in the kitchen, 14.5 deg in the leanto.

1014 mBar, 29.9434 in Hg, 760.56 Torr, 14.706 psi, (up from 1006 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 66% RH (Lidl electric: I've got the dehumidifier on to warm the place up a bit).

It's raining.

Meanwhile on the 18th of July 2019 NF found the Nectar card he'd lost behind the chair whereas I was busy taking stuff down the dump including the "spare" Tatung 14" VGA monitor that I sort of repaired but on being powered up again emitted some smoke & thusly met the monitor bin down the dump.

There's a couple of Monochrome Monitors and an EGA monitor in the shed that could do with doing the same thing.

Walk (abbreviated) walked. It rained on me. But I'd taken an umbrella.

Lunch: baked potato etc.

Entertainment: The News Quiz.

Shopping trip to Aldi done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Maigret Sets a trap (1992) S1 E6: Michael Gambon.

Tea: spag bol etc.

Entertainment: that Welsh advert opera singer chap.

Bunkers E1 & E2 on PBS.

Maigret S3 E1 (1962) "Voices from the Past": with that Charles Grey, Richard Vernon, and Terrence Alexander.

The Spying Game E1, E2, E3.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 October 2023, 19:26.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny spells out along with a fair amount of cumulus, but the fairly clear sky overnight let all the heat out: currently 11°C and no better than 12° likely. The barometers are bouncing back though, at 1005/1013mB

Comment

Afternoon all

Started off clear and sunny but has since clouded over. No rain forecast though. Currently 13 degrees and that's the high for the day. Barometer up to 1017 mBar.

Much condensation on the bedroom windows this morning. Have had many windows and the back door open to get some fresh air through the house. Bed stripped and linen in the WM. General tidying / cleaning ongoing in-between watching The Repair Shop ahead of Tuesday's inspection.

Comment

Lunch: bacon bap (white, buttered)

Comment

All caught up on The Repair Shop, further procrastination achieved by watching The Sky at Night.

Pillow cases and towels out on the line for a bit of a waft before it gets too damp, as the sun came out again.

Comment

Tonight's takeaway treat was from one of those places I used to live less than ten minutes' walk from but never got around to trying, though it had been on my list of places to try due to its popularity. It's Indian, but not exactly traditional; their signature meal is a box stuffed with rice and chips plus tandoori chicken pieces and a curry, defaulting to chicken tikka masala, all in together. I gave that a try and while it was nice enough, I know plenty of more normal Indian places that are better, and the novelty of getting both rice and chips isn't good enough for me to be likely to bother again. Not actually bad though, just not as good as the alternatives

It was a good sunset tonight - I can't see it directly from the living room side, but it does a nice job of gilding the art deco block opposite when it's particularly colourful

Comment

There was a light shower that dampened my laundry but not overly so.

All linen brought in and draped about to finish drying.

Watching Fake or Fortune.

Comment

More African wildlife stuff on this afternoon, though the repeats of stuff like Road Wars afterwards (I swear some of this stuff was repeated in the same timeslot just a few weeks ago) were ignored in favour of fiddling around with some SwiftUI and SwiftData stuff

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was The Kingdom (2007) in which Jamie Foxx leads a small team of FBI agents investigating a terrorist attack against Americans in Saudi Arabia. It's pretty good; a lot of stuff about cultural clashes and the political niceties of dealing with them, as well as the expected chases and gunplay and bombs and such

And then a rewatch of Man on a Ledge (2012) which is a much better film than the somewhat dumb-sounding title would suggest

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X