• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea has been the leftovers of Saturday night's Turkish mixed grill, with chips. Though "leftovers" makes it sound like a few scraps, whereas it's such a huge meal that this was about half of it

Comment

No opal hunters tonight or for the rest of the week, as they're showing a foreign bicycling contest instead. Not sure why they couldn't chuck the Welsh antiques bloke off, but from his never-ending presence on there, I assume he has kompromat on the schedulers

But there was NEW! gold hunters - to be precise, the rest of the NEW! series they stopped in the middle of a few months ago. Mechanical woes featured a lot, but they didn't do too badly

And also watched, either side of the gold hunters, were both parts of Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae about the probable murder of a woman and her three year old son in the 1970s, on iPlayer

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day out, and expected to remain so. Currently 14°C with an expected high of 19°, and the barometers are up a little more at 1001/1008mB

Last day off today, so I'll have to make the most of it by not doing very much

And tomorrow is not only back to work, but also mattress delivery day

Comment

Cool, fresh, and slightly damp start to the day. Hope of some warmth later.

All quiet on the contract front, so I shall have to gently prompt them for the paperwork if they do actually expect me to start next week.

No plans for the day. Might pencil in a bit of Tetris for later... might not. I like to leave my options open.

Laters.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy and dull with a damp feel to the air. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Rain forecast this evening. Barometer down a touch to 1014 mBar.

Yesterday I ended up getting fully up to date on Secrets of the Underground. My biggest take away was that the stations were originally all built with lifts. Then "modernisation" came along, removed the lifts and put in escalators. Now TFL are having to spend a fortune putting lifts back in to make them accessible. And, no, they can't reuse the old lift shafts because they're now mostly ventilation shafts and the stations were massively reconfigured to fit in escalators.

Tired this morning. Not looking forward to doing that work thing today.

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday.

Wet.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Drizzly.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 19.2 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 18.5 deg in the leanto.

1008 mBar, 29.766223 in Hg, 756.1 Torr, 14.62 psi, (down from 1011 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 75% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of July 2019 (did this day ever end?) Diver had decided it was too hot to wash the campervan roof, NF had duly visited the barber for a haircut & thereafter done the shopping (leading to endless confusion regarding which day it might be), whilst I was quoting RamblingSidRumphold yet again. I wonder what prompted that, presumably some mofo upsetting me again, no doubt Specifically In General.

Having logged into a BT email thingie that's been untouched for months I discovered the usual spam from B&Q, Admiral, etc. plus the electoral register thingie that's been there since July, so I filled that in & got the receipt.

Freecell score in the endless drizzle of a drizzly morning: 87%, running average: 86% (85.62%).

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, red unpippy corner yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about recycling. TWATO until it went <click>.

The drizzle stopped & the sun came out, so shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away. 34 bus out 38 bus back.

Tea: Brains faggots with peas & mash, the last of the peach slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM <click>

Colonel March of Scotland Yard E20 (1955) "The Missing Link".

Scotland Yard "Bullet from the past" with that Edgar Lustgarten chap, plus Ballard Berkeley as the Scotland Yard inspector (not quite his turn at the Major in "Fawlty Towers").

Joy of Painting. This one is jerky which is a bit offputting wise.

Joy of Painting.

Ghosts US. 2nd part of the fecking Xmas ep. Wasn't as bad as feared.

The Human Jungle.S2 E12 1964 "The quick & the dead". Racing driver with problems that make him crash a lot.

Maigret 1993 The Reluctant Witness. They seem to use a lot of .25 ACP (6.35mm) lady's guns in France. Not a manly .44 mag or .357 mag to be seen. A 9x19 is an exception.

I seem to have neglected to notice that "The Rookie" S3 had returned. I think I prefer Maigret and can't be arsed to record the other.

Abandoned Engineering: the Hungarian Castle with the female torturer, the White Alice troposcatter network in Alaska associated with the DEW system, the glories of the NK commie bastards, and something else I can't remember. I'd seen the 2nd half before.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 August 2023, 09:10.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

Cloudy and dull with a damp feel to the air. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Rain forecast this evening. Barometer down a touch to 1014 mBar.

Yesterday I ended up getting fully up to date on Secrets of the Underground. My biggest take away was that the stations were originally all built with lifts. Then "modernisation" came along, removed the lifts and put in escalators. Now TFL are having to spend a fortune putting lifts back in to make them accessible. And, no, they can't reuse the old lift shafts because they're now mostly ventilation shafts and the stations were massively reconfigured to fit in escalators.

Tired this morning. Not looking forward to doing that work thing today.
                You miss the fact that the escalators had a significant impact and moved where the ground level entrances to a lot of stations are - for instance Marylebone's old entrance is a fair distance from the current entrance and was replaced by a Travelodge.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

E.On Next (who on earth thinks these ridiculous names are a good idea?) have put me in the hands of the debt collectors

This relates to the energy supply to my old flat from the date I moved out until some time a few weeks later. I have written confirmation from them that I moved out on that date, and that my account was in credit when I did so, for which they sent me a cheque. When they later sent me a post-final bill for this period and I asked them WTF they were thinking, they also gave me written confirmation that I was not liable for the debt, and said my name had been removed from the account so I wouldn't hear any more about it

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    All quiet on the contract front, so I shall have to gently prompt them for the paperwork if they do actually expect me to start next week.
                    Contract has arrived and no prompting was required.

Turns out that it's for six months not three.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Contract has arrived and no prompting was required.

Turns out that it's for six months not three.

Double boomed!

Comment

Working...
                      X