• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't really summon up much enthusiasm for work today

But there was a meeting to discuss the backlog, which was useful from a project management perspective and didn't involve a huge amount of effort on my part. There was some documenting of how an existing system is set up for certain purposes, which was very easy because it's just looking at configuration screens and making a list in Confluence. And I was able to help out the other devs with a few things, which counts as actual work rather than an annoying distraction because I'm supposed to be Tech Lead

So in the end, I can claim to have been reasonably productive without actually having exerted myself to any great degree

Comment

I had thought I was out of gammon, but I found a last portion at the bottom of the freezer. It's quite possible I'd brought this one from the old place; it was a little frostbitten at one of the edges. But it soon revivified when heated up in the frying pan, so tea has been roast gammon with fried eggs, chips and beans

There's been a couple of showers, one of which resulted in a rainbow that lasted for quite a few minutes, right in the middle of my big living room window

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I had thought I was out of gammon, but I found a last portion at the bottom of the freezer. It's quite possible I'd brought this one from the old place; it was a little frostbitten at one of the edges. But it soon revivified when heated up in the frying pan, so tea has been roast gammon with fried eggs, chips and beans

There's been a couple of showers, one of which resulted in a rainbow that lasted for quite a few minutes, right in the middle of my big living room window
        Mod Milleni-ommmmm
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I’d planted rhubarb earlier in the year and it’s really doing well. But so were the nettles around it, which seemed to enjoy the quality of the ground. Plenty of other nettles in the garden, so I didn’t feel too guilty pulling these ones up. They rewarded me with tingling arms.
          In other news, the construction I was working on last week is now complete, the gate swings freely and has a suitable mesh on it to stop a dog escaping, and now I’ve move a couple of large pots onto the step as well. Looks quite good.

Our first attempt at fostering will arrive next Wednesday, so lots of last minute jobs to do, since we’re off on a jolly from this Wednesday.

Anyway, TFBSZ

Comment

The car tonight was a DeSoto Firedome which didn't have any door handles, which is how I knew I'd seen it before. And the gold diggers came to the end of another season: one lot nearly bankrupt, one lot satisfied, and one lot quids in.

Later, the new gold diggers ended up pretty much the same, though they're still fairly early in this season.

And so to bed to read a bit of Sam Pepys, whose diary I have been sadly neglecting of late. Mid-July to early August 1666, and the English fleet has routed the Dutch. Not long now till the Great Fire

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

CBS, etc.

Comment

^^^ Firedome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCBVZHrstE

. <- the wheels. With some added Pepys.

Morning.

Tuesday

Awakened by the racket made by the birds shouting their fecking heads off again.

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

Cold in here at 16 deg, 17 deg in the kitchen, 14.5 deg in the leanto.

1022 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (up from 1019 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 6th of June 2019 Brillo achieved 32k posts while I contemplated a massacre of the brambles.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away, during which some charity emporia were visited in a futile search for a pyrex casserole dish.

Minor potching with the tilt & turn window, it sort of works again now but the gearbox is knackered. Looking at the vids on FB there is a kit to replace the mechanism but it's fecking complicated.

Moving stuff to reach the window revealed lots of dust so the bedroom has been vacced within an inch of its life, with the vac going from a quarter full to 3/4 full.

Lunch: Morrisons parsnip & carrot soup with Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y about rents and such like. The grandparents had sitting tenants when they bought next door in the 1920s for £300.

Vac emptied and the filter beaten against the garden wall. Much dust expelled.

Vac now sucks well enough to stick to the ceiling again.

Front bedroom cum junkroom duly vacced with stuff being moved that hasn't been moved in a while.

Little colony of very dead & desiccated woodlice vacced. Even pressed the handle extension thingie into use for the first time ever.

Sitting down now as totally knackered. Dunno why those old VCRs were so heavy, must have been built out of girders. I don't recall them being so heavy 45 years ago, though I do remember nearly breaking my neck whilst carrying one when Gordon the Janitor had mopped a bit of floor thusly making it unexpectedly slippery. Maybe I should claim.

Front bedroom cum junk room reassembled sans much dust & woodlice.

Tea: breaded haddock, some pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Colonel March of Scotland Yard: the one with the stolen poodle. With that William Pratt chap.

Scotland Yard (1953) "the dark stairway": The one with the blind man who identifies a murderer. With that Edgar Lustgarten.

Wheeler Dealers S12 E9: The Clip Show. . Well I had to wash the dishes.

Maigret and No1 Lock 1994. S4 E2. A production that depicted a pre WWII Maigret unlike the BBC 1960s productions which seem firmly set in the 1950s. Quite odd story. Where the feck is Lucas? He's not in any of these.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 May 2023, 08:30.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start out, with some high haze but Simpsonesque elements starting to form. Currently 9°C, 16° expected later, and the barometers are up at 1013/1021mB

Comment

One of the other devs, yesterday: "How do I create an API token for this production service so I can test some stuff?" Me: "Not at all sure we should do that, we need to check with the Right People as it could be a major security risk as well as allowing potentially harmful actions that could modify or delete important data."

Same dev, this morning, seeing me ask the Right People for their thoughts on Slack: "Oh, I've already created one, shouldn't I have done that?"

Comment

I seem to have missed recording lunch, probably because I was quite busy today, writing a script to query a bunch of stuff from an API and convert it into the form of text files I could post on Confluence to make it look as if I'd done a load of research

Though in a way I had done a load of research, I suppose

Anyway, it was Heinz oxtail soup with seedy bloomer toast, and very nice

I also had the rest of the roast chicken from last week to deal with. As I have reserves of soup, I decided to do something different this time. So the carcass spent much of the day in the slow cooker with some veg and herbs and such, being converted into stock which was then used to make a chicken hotpot. Turned out very nice indeed

Comment

Working...
                      X