• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Kingdom of Heaven (2005), one of those Ridley Scott Does History things. But it's one of the ones where he forgot that it ought to involve a good story too, so it's a bit mediocre IMHO because the story isn't much of a story for most of the film

And then a rewatch of Contact (1997) which is an excellent story

Finally, the first Christmas episode of The West Wing. Most of these are annoying crap, but this first one is a good story in parts, being the one where Toby abuses his position to arrange a funeral with full military honours for a homeless veteran

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

No one explained to The DogTW about the extra hour in bed.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Wet.

Sunless.

Cooler at 17.4 deg in here, 19 deg in the kitchen (post kettle), 16 deg in the leanto.

1007 mBar, 29.7366 in Hg, 755.3 Torr, 14.6 psi, (down from 1008 last night), 76% RH.

Sunday.

while back in 13th Feb 2019 I was railing about the idiocy of Ye Newe Sloughe of Despond requiring Another Trip to Carmarthen for a health check*, and NF was informing the assembled congregation that "Godmanchester" is pronounced "Gumster".

*To whit: the hearing check I pointed out hadn't been done during the first appointment.

Freecell score in the ongoing wetness: 85%, running average 85%. .

Entertainment: Forensic Scientist on Desert Island Discs. Was hoping for "One of these days", but no joy there.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.5 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "It's a fair cop". TWTW. "The Coming Storm". Lots of Q in this last.

Sun's out.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine and brisk breeze. It thought about raining on me but changed its mind.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 85%.

Seems to be getting dark early.

The ancient LED clock has been corrected, the remainder of the many clocks are self setting (that's until the EMP of course, after which if it doesn't tick that'll be it).

Tea: lamb's liver & bacon with onion gravy, some fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91*1.5 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Find it, Fix it, Drive it: a model aircraft unflown for 20 or so years, reequipped with new servos & radios, a Landrover of an usual sort, extracted from a hedge & restored to successful operation around an offroad course including a long dip in the mud.

"Castle Keep (1969)" with that Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk, Michael "Let's be Careful Out There" Conrad, Bruce Dern, et al. It's a Vietnam War allegory apparently. Oddly, the Germans had occupied the castle previously, then left without taking the entire contents with them as they went.

That didn't last long.

Now onto NZ Motorway Patrol S3 E4. The excitement of The Mattress in the Fast Lane. .

Then the Salvage Hunters salvaging a Renault 5 Gordini form 1982 with an aftermarket sunroof that leaked from the off: replaced with a £2k Webasto. I hate sunroofs.

The Repair Shoppe: there's tidy then, a cup from 1909 for a long deceased rugby player Tom Evans from Llanelli. A curious seized up sewing machine. An accordion.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 November 2022, 19:40.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

There's been rain this morning, of varying levels of the enthusiasm. Now it's just cloudy. Currently 15 degrees with a high of 16 expected. Barometer at 1015 mBar.

For some reason yesterday morning's post didn't happen. It was a lovely warm, sunny day. 20 degrees or thereabouts.

Yesterday afternoon was spent having afternoon tea in Kensington, followed by cocktails. Then more cocktails. Then some dinner before finally returning home. A good day was had by all.

Today I need to find some weedkiller for the front drive and footpath, and apply it.

Comment

Just saved myself a half day’s work cutting the front hedge. Spotted one of the farmers was out cutting the hedge of a neighbour’s paddock, so asked him to give ours a trim on the lane and on top. £20 for 10 minutes work from him and it looks a lot better than I would have done with ladders and hedge trimmers.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

It was sunny but it's gone grey and rainy while I was making my coffee. Not sure if the two things are related. It's also a bit windy. Mild enough though at 16°C, while the barometers are trivially up at 1003/1011mB

Comment

It's been a very lazy day today.

Much tat on TV has been watched.

A lot of snacking of foods HWMBO left over from his visit (he's now gone back home).

Comment

Scotch broth with wholemeal bread for tea

Comment

Unexpected day, several roses planted/moved, three large shrubs dug up, lane swept, and trip to local hostelry called off due to them being closed when we arrived.

Now TFBSZ.

Comment

Not a lot of TV today: some New Zealand police stuff, and later, a pre-Covid episode of The Repair Shop

Early night now so I can make the most of my freedom tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X