• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recycling bin has been trundled back in, so that's Bin Day over for another week

Somebody had stuffed one to bursting with a load of non-recyclable (in those bins) stuff hanging out the top: plastic toys, fabrics, and so on. The bin folk naturally left this untouched. I wonder how many weeks it'll be there before anything gets done about it

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Meanwhile back in December 15th 2018, NF went to the Chinese where the lady was complaining of the cold and I watched some obscure film or other, whilst he finished off the Alien franchise with IV.
      A search reveals that I watched the Alien films again in July 2020, and previously in December 2016. So I'm about due to watch the whole lot again

Comment

Lunch was a long time ago, but when it was here, it was ham cobs and a bag of crisps

Quite a hectic day. We've had a pentester poking at one of the services we're responsible for, and as tech lead, I get all the hassle. Today first thing, he'd found an API key in an HTTP header and got everyone very worked up about a possible Information Disclosure; I had them babbling at me about rotating keys and what have you

Upon attempting to access the control panel of the thing the key was for, I found that I didn't have access to it for the service in question - but I had access for the thing I was working on last year, which had never been revoked

Anyway, it turned out to be a completely harmless public key and it didn't matter in the slightest. But at least establishing that kept me from working on the thing I've been trying to get done since Monday morning and hadn't even started yet because of constant low-level noise like this

So this afternoon, I finally found the time to get started on that thing, and it's almost done. It would actually be done, except I had to stop because some monitoring service reckoned that there's a problem with our main service going up and down like a yo-yo. It did this overnight earlier in the week and then stopped, but it started doing it again late afternoon. I have no idea why, but it's almost certainly nothing to do with us and everything to do with the infrastructure, because I checked and the code in question hasn't been touched since the summer of 2020

Comment

A decent drive to and fro. Light showers occurred on both trips but otherwise it was a lovely day.

ISA 2 of 3 closed and funds transferred.

HWMBO went to Borough Market and returned with tasty foods. Dinner was a Barnsley chop done with a spicy crust and rice.

Comment

Tea: gammon, chips, fried eggs and beans

Accompanied by the last episode of the last series of Trucking Hell, which I've been holding in reserve in case of emergency until a new series started to appear

Comment

Ents was all-new Trucking Hell followed by the HIGNFY Boris Tribute.

Comment

Just watched HIGNFB on iPlayer, now TFBSZ.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car earlier was a… BMW 2002 tii? Some complicated name like that anyway. One of those old BMWs. Not from 2002, but from many years before that.

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was What Dreams May Come (1998) in which Robin Williams' character dies and finds himself in heaven, but then his wife kills herself, and he has to journey into her personal hell to rescue her. I found the story a bit slow to start with, though that may be just me being used to too many action movies, but it's a very beautiful film visually and also very moving

Then I resisted the temptation to restart the Alien stuff all over again in favour of yet another rewatch of Looper (2012) because it's jolly good as these time things go

And finally a rewatch of Proud Mary (2018) because I think that's also jolly good even though it doesn't involve time travel at all

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Just had a 30 minute cloudburst that has filled the water butts.
                    It’s also brought down a load more apples, so today may turn into a day for juicing.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Apples, apples, and more fecking apples. Don't talk to me about apples.

Morning.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Sunless.

It rained so hard overnight that it featured in a dream & woke me up to find it was really happening, rivers of water flowing along the gutters in the road for the first time in a long while.

Cool in here at 21.3 deg.

1002 mBar, in Hg, Torr, pis, (down from 1003 last night), 71% RH.

Saturday.

The toothache in the shoulders has returned after yestereday's gardening. .

Meanwhile back in December 16th 2018, MS was feeling fragile, NF was consuming wafer thin turkey slices, and I was getting wet in the search for Old Peculier.

It was ever thus.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the intermittent picking of rain.

The extent of the blocked drains was established, with the grids of three being roughly cleared of debris and leaves.

Looks like the rivers of water thing wasn't an exaggeration. .

Lunch: Morrisons baked beans on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast of same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S12 E3 MGA again.

Wheeler Dealers S13 E17 1916 Cadillac, prepared for the Peking to Paris rally. That's a bit further than London to Brighton in a 1903 Darracq Type L. .

Cadillac Type 53 V8. For £37k. .Then shipped from the UK to Septicland sans engine (which is held up in customs for some reason, maybe they think it's for making crystal meth or something).

So that's how you make pistons. .

Cast white metal bearings. .

Much machining of engine parts. Much painting of chassis. Much construction of body. Much delay on engine repairs.

And what happened next:

https://www.prewarcar.com/wheeler-de...ies-ep-9#group

Wheeler Dealers S12 E8 DeSoto Firedome V8. 1952.

Gosh. another variation on fitting replacement valve guides and hardened valve seats.

Do they make 8V car batteries then? And how do you fit an 8V car battery to a 6V car? Just askin' like.

And all the make the door locks operate with a zapper. .

Tea: the last of the spag bol, some fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: about 10 minutes of the Ancient Aliens bollox which was all I could stomach.

Freecell score: 90%, running average 85% (making up for the 75% earlier today).

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 September 2022, 19:23.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X