• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm doesn't look anything special so far, but then neither did the 1987 storm from my house, we are sheltered by a hill. It wasn't until I got to the top of my road and found the main road blocked with fallen trees that I realised how bad it was.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning denizens

Up betimes, and out I popped to see if the recycling bins had been done. They had, so that's been trundled back in.

And then, as I was out there and had taken the precaution of donning a coat (with scarf): walk briskly walked, green ring closed

Despite it being a little breezy, I added the extra leg through the dodgy rec. No trees fallen yet, but the worst of the wind isn't due for a while

On the return trip, though, the wind was already distinctly stronger than it had been when I set out. I had thought of driving down to Sainsbury's before the worst arrives, but I don't really need anything and I decided it's not worth the potential bother

Just waiting for my coffee to brew now. Can't believe I managed so much without caffeine!

Comment

Pretty rough down here now. Have already been out to do repairs on the greenhouse before any more panes blow out. A few fence panels down at the front, and a better idea of which windows and doors are not as air tight as they first appear.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Toasted teacake with lashings of butter for breakfast

Comment

One of the windows on the workshop has just gone, and been replaced quickly
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hmm. Storm looks a lot gruntier now but still no damage here. Wondering where to go for a walk.

2 brief power cuts. Have to spend ages setting clocks etc. darn it. Just rescued old neighbour's bin that was sliding down the road.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 18 February 2022, 11:50.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wind's getting up here and proper rain has just arrived, albeit not torrential. I believe we aren't expected to get more than about 35mph, though

Comment

Looks like a bedsit clearance going on next door. Various exceptionally decrepit bits of furniture, a countertop electric oven with two rings on top, and now a set of weights fit for a gym, all unceremoniously dumped in the front garden and now being chucked on the back of a pickup truck that's parked on the crossing zigzags and blocking one of the two inbound lanes of traffic. Dunno if this is a resident moving their stuff out, the aftermath of an eviction, or if somebody died (or just vanished).

Comment

I got up and did everything at 7am cos the weather said high winds between 10-3.

Bit windy outside.

The council and network rail have been around in the last couple of years chopping down dodgy trees, so don't expect to see many falling.

However Thames Water who are giving everyone a meter haven't bothered to secure their works so random signs and temp fences have fallen down.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just found out about Big Jet TV so now I've got it up on the big telly: some nutter in a field at the end of Heathrow 27L live-streaming video of the planes attempting to land, while I use the FlightRadar24 app on the iPad to see who's coming in next. Flight from LA just made it down, ones from Prague and then Goa on approach

Comment

Working...
                      X