• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No end of "jobopportunity you want this jobopportunity" calls today.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

You sound confident, hiring freeze could end up meaning no contract extension..
      In my team there are 3 permies and 20 contractors. The client just can't not renew.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

In my team there are 3 permies and 20 contractors. The client just can't not renew.
        They most certainly can.

Comment

I'm having an interview tomorrow with one of the public sector clients.

Apart from that, I did receive an email a few days ago

A Fab creative agency are looking for a Front End Developer for 3 days this week and I wanted to see if you’re looking?
          • Advanced knowledge of Google maps and experience of integration with large amounts of data
          • Must be able to load map data using JSON
          • Must be able to do postcode lookups

It’s paying £350 per day INSIDE IR35.
          Not sure what to say about that.....

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
            Not sure what to say about that.....
            Why? What's wrong with it

We talk about multi gigging a lot on here and that looks like a great opportunity. I could be wrong but from what I've seen around google maps work it's not complicated. Decent coder can do that with their eyes shut and then do other work for other clients for the other days. Bung the whole lot in a pension and it's going to actually be more tax efficient than your outside work.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why? What's wrong with it

We talk about multi gigging a lot on here and that looks like a great opportunity. I could be wrong but from what I've seen around google maps work it's not complicated. Decent coder can do that with their eyes shut and then do other work for other clients for the other days. Bung the whole lot in a pension and it's going to actually be more tax efficient than your outside work.
              If you put it that way it doesn't sound bad at all.

I suppose the focus was that I find it odd how can a company deem a 3-day contract as inside.

Comment

I suppose the focus was that I find it odd how can a company deem a 3-day contract as inside.
                Because it's perfectly possible for a small piece of work to be inside especially when the end client is completely risk adverse.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's just a temp job to them.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Number of Jobserve jobs seems to be high.

Lots of agents asking about availability or do I know anyone available...
                    There's much spam.

The amount of roles on Jobserve is as high as its been since 2019, it is almost double what it was last year.

High-paying roles where the customer is ready to commit? Market was good for those until June and its been getting gradually worse since. Nothing has changed much with the recruitment industry, if anything, its gotten worse too.

Lots of people on linked in barely hanging on, there will be a whole bunch of EU based contractors paying 0-15% tax next year, I think 2023 is a case of evolve or die for the UK contracting industry.

Those clients that want to pay crap rates inside IR35 for 3 (or more) days onsite and no expenses are going to find it more and more difficult to fill roles.

I think clients that are more flexible on the other hand, will have a greater pool of resources to work with.
                    Last edited by Bluenose; 15 November 2022, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

There's much spam.

The amount of roles on Jobserve is as high as its been since 2019, it is almost double what it was last year.

High-paying roles where the customer is ready to commit? Market was good for those until June and its been getting gradually worse since. Nothing has changed much with the recruitment industry, if anything, its gotten worse too.

Lots of people on linked in barely hanging on, there will be a whole bunch of EU based contractors paying 0-15% tax next year, I think 2023 is a case of evolve or die for the UK contracting industry.

Those clients that want to pay crap rates inside IR35 for 3 (or more) days onsite and no expenses are going to find it more and more difficult to fill roles.

I think clients that are more flexible on the other hand, will have a greater pool of resources to work with.
                      That was from September - I don’t know the current market - especially as since then there has been a whole pile of layoffs and bankruptcies.

what I do know is that I easily picked up a decent contract (albeit inside but at a rate that covers that) roughly the day that was posted.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X