• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

automation == cost savings
    cloud optimisation == cost savings
    license reconciliation == cost savings
    InfoSys provide all those and more.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-akshata-murty

Last edited by _V_; 9 November 2022, 13:09.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I did manage to survive the pandemic but there aren't that many front-end roles right now and if they are they usually want a one-man army. It's ok to burn your war chest but after a while and crisis after crisis, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Comment

First contract after coming back from permieland and I may have hit the jackpot. I just heard the news that there is now a hiring freeze at my public sector client. No more hires for the foreseeable, both permies and contractors.

The project is part of a long term very well financed programme so this means that the project team will be fighting tooth and nail to keep the resources they have as they won't be able to replace them. So that's me safely locked in a contract for as long as I want it to last. I'll do 2 years, I quite fancy the work.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          First contract after coming back from permieland and I may have hit the jackpot. I just heard the news that there is now a hiring freeze at my public sector client. No more hires for the foreseeable, both permies and contractors.

The project is part of a long term very well financed programme so this means that the project team will be fighting tooth and nail to keep the resources they have as they won't be able to replace them. So that's me safely locked in a contract for as long as I want it to last. I'll do 2 years, I quite fancy the work.
          I hope that ia the case but I am not sure there is such a thing as a safe contract in either public or private sector for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
            I did manage to survive the pandemic but there aren't that many front-end roles right now and if they are they usually want a one-man army. It's ok to burn your war chest but after a while and crisis after crisis, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
            Time between contracts has been a problem for me in a test over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I hope that ia the case but I am not sure there is such a thing as a safe contract in either public or private sector for the foreseeable future.
              Given one of the contractors in my team has been at the client for 4 years, another one for 2.5 years and another one for 8(!) years, I'm pretty confident.

Comment

I just heard the news that there is now a hiring freeze at my public sector client. No more hires for the foreseeable, both permies and contractors.
                So that's me safely locked in a contract for as long as I want it to last. I'll do 2 years, I quite fancy the work.
                You sound confident, hiring freeze could end up meaning no contract extension..

Comment

Given one of the contractors in my team has been at the client for 4 years, another one for 2.5 years and another one for 8(!) years, I'm pretty confident.
                  Has to be public sector surely?

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
                    Contracting has always been a borderline decision vs perm for me even when most roles were outside and more favourable tax landscape. With most roles now seemingly inside that destroys contracting completely for me.

Even if you get outside gov now increasing both corporation tax and dividend tax, so even that is less attractive.

Juice just isnt worth the squeeze for me -maybe for some if you want to be a contractor purely so you can move around every year just for the sake of it

Comment

As I say, I wish you well but we are about to enter a two year recession.

Comment

Working...
                      X