• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied for a few roles over the weekend.
    Tried calling the pimps today. All have put incorrect numbers for some reason and their receptions seems to be unmanned!

Comment

I finished up at a client on Hogmanay; and didn't really start looking until then; ended up with 3x interviews for roles and 3x offers with better rates and terms (Outside IR35) than my previous contract so I'm pretty happy although my time off is a little shorter than I'd initially planned; still there's bugger all to do in January anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
        I finished up at a client on Hogmanay; and didn't really start looking until then; ended up with 3x interviews for roles and 3x offers with better rates and terms (Outside IR35) than my previous contract so I'm pretty happy although my time off is a little shorter than I'd initially planned; still there's bugger all to do in January anyway!
        This doesn't really tell anyone anything unless you say what sort of role you do, and perhaps which part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

This doesn't really tell anyone anything unless you say what sort of role you do, and perhaps which part of the country.
          Not sure if serious...

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Yes, the loss of the allowance means the combined Tax and NI rate for Inside gigs for earnings between 100K and 125K is almost 70%.
            60% income tax, 3% employees NI and 15% employers NI.

If I were an inside contractor on target to bill around 125K for the tax year (after maxing out my Pension contributions), i would look book enough time off throughout the year to make sure I bill only 100K instead. Better to take the time off rather than pay an almost 70% marginal tax rate.
            Full £40k in the pension sorts that, surely? If you're not, you should be.

Comment

I'm a Technical BA - in Edinburgh

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Not sure if serious...

Wasn't sure who would catch that bit.

Comment

This doesn't really tell anyone anything
                  It's in context with the other 700+ pages of moaning then.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Was due to have an interview last Thursday but got (virtually) stood up, which as one can imagine annoyed me. However agent rearranged for the next day (apparently the guy got involved in a release, and was seemingly so busy they couldn't send a one word message postponing it) and it went well according to the feedback and what I thought.

Reasonably enough they were talking to another couple of people Monday and Tuesday so was expecting to hear middle of last week. When this rolls round I try and get hold of the agent (who seems to refer LinkedIn messenger rather than picking up the phone, which is another irritation). Eventually get a response that my interviewer is off with a non-Covid virus, delaying things. So far as I can gather he was off all of last week.

Eventually wanting to put this to bed dropped the agent a line this morning. Apparently was about to get in touch to tell me they want to consider me for something else but didn't know the timescale.

So to sumamrise:
                    • Recruitment processes that start badly won't get any better. If someone wants to show who the are with their first impression, believe them.
                    • Recruitment agents, and this one has been around for ages so isn't in the phone salesman up until last month category, don't actually seem to want to talk to people anymore.
                    • If there are a series of unlikely events, your suspicions are probably correct, but to avoid this being a problem......
                    • As soon as you have finished an interview, give the agent feedback but unless they come back to you with any questions don't invest anymore time or effort into the process.
                    I know this is nothing new to anyone of any experience on here, but worth repeating. Onwards to the interview I have tomorrow.

Comment

I still don't understand the mindset of people (contractors) chasing up applications or interview feedback.

No news is bad news. If they want you, you can be damn well sure they'll be trying every method to get in touch. I remember a recruiter sending me a 1st class letter back in Dec 2012 to tell me to get in touch as I had been ignoring their calls

Comment

Working...
                      X