• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my coterie of friendly agents got wiped out during lockdown but the agent I got my last pre-lockdown contract through found me a few things that kept the wolf from the door.

In the process of rebuilding my circle of contacts at the moment. From where I am sitting the Christmas slow down started in about October but things picked up in about the second week of January.

Just need to get something over the line now.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
      Out of curiosity, have you ever contacted a pimp who got you a contract in the past and asked them to let you know if they get new contracts? I have, but either new contracts were not appealing or I never heard from them despite them saying that they will keep an eye out for me.

I can assure you I give my 200% in every contract and do not leave halfway.
      Three of my first five gigs over a six year period came through the same agency, two of which were the same agent. This agent then went to set up on his own and I've since got another gig via someone I met at that agency. Judging by my network on LinkedIn there has been a massive churn of recruiters in the last 6-9 months swapping firms - it's a very incestuous industry.

My perception is agents (mainly at larger agencies) don't care so much who they get to fit most roles as it's a numbers game for them. As you go higher up the day rate scale, it appears they put a bit more effort into it and there's a bit more mutual relationship building and networking. That's only my experience, YMMV.

Comment

When i started about 14 years ago recruitment was changing from something you could have mutually beneficial relationships with agents with to being almost fully transactional. That might be reversing a bit at the moment.

Comment

Tip of the day : By default, all roles are inside IR35, whether it is mentioned or not. It is only OUTSIDE IR35 if it explicitly states this.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
            Tip of the day : By default, all roles are inside IR35, whether it is mentioned or not. It is only OUTSIDE IR35 if it explicitly states this, and maybe not even then
            FTFY
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

First HGV drivers, now patrolmen ?

Roadside Mechanic - OTE £50,000pa, guaranteed minimum of £46,518pa plus £1000 new starter bonus (bonus paid in full in first wage - this will be repayable if you leave the business within 12 months)
              Are you looking for the opportunity to work at the heart of one of the UK's most trusted breakdown cover providers? Do you have a Level 2 light vehicle maintenance qualification? Do you crave an autonomous role with all the freedom of the road? Do you like variety, dealing with customers and offering them exceptional service? Then read on.
              Our unprecedented growth means we now have a fantastic opportunity for skilled, field-based vehicle mechanics to join our Superflex Roadside Patrol team. Roadside is at the very heart of our business, as our Patrols deliver an exceptional and much needed service to our members. Unlike working in a garage or dealership, you'll be out and about dealing face-to-face with our customers, handling breakdowns, offering technical support, and delivering the exceptional service that they've come to expect from RAC. You'll come across a diverse range of breakdowns and technical issues, with the goal of fixing at least 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside, so technical expertise and qualifications are a must. A natural people person, you'll get a kick out of offering much needed assistance with a calm and friendly approach, whatever the situation. You'll need a minimum Level 2 light vehicle maintenance qualification and proven, core mechanical and diagnostic skills. And of course, you'll also need a full driving licence!
              Our Superflex Patrol are just that, super-flexible. You'll work 40 hours per week within the hours of 0600 and 0200 over seven days a week, including evenings, early mornings, weekends, and Bank Holidays. We'll tell you 7 days in advance when you'll be working and let you have your core hours 3 days in advance.
              In return for your flexibility, we offer:
              • A highly competitive base salary of £46,518pa with OTE of £50,000pa
              • A fully kitted out RAC Service Patrol van
              • Pension and life cover
              • Generous holiday entitlement
              • Breakdown cover for you and your household
              • Access to our Flexible Benefits Scheme
              Not only will you have a comprehensive induction, but you'll also have access to the latest vehicle technology, along with support from technical experts based in our head office You could also develop your career further within our growing business. So, if you're tired of the same garage environment and you love helping others, it might be time to consider a career as an RAC Service Patrol.

Comment

Have to pay me way more than that if there was a sniff of a chance I'd have to attend a break down on a smart motorway.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Currently doing background checks for a contract starting in a couple of weeks. Had an interview for another one which went quiet until the agent got in touch to say the same client wanted to talk to me about another role. I am sure all concerned will be shocked when I tell them I am already spoken for!

Noticeable how busy it has been in the New Year versus the last quarter of last year for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Currently doing background checks for a contract starting in a couple of weeks. Had an interview for another one which went quiet until the agent got in touch to say the same client wanted to talk to me about another role. I am sure all concerned will be shocked when I tell them I am already spoken for!

Noticeable how busy it has been in the New Year versus the last quarter of last year for me.
                    Aye, I am now able to get hold of pimps too and on Monday alone, my CV was forwarded to five clients.

Comment

Had interviews but nothing doing, four months on the bench now, getting rather tiresome.

Warchest is fine but now considering making company dormant and possibly going permy for a year or two.

Lots of inside gigs this week wanting SC.

It's a no from me.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X