• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

Uncontrolled immigration is definitely a reason.
    Those bloody Northerners and Irish with unfettered right to work in London..... As for the Scottish, don't get me started...
    It seems that getting control of our borders hasn't helped. Got any better ideas?

/sarcasm
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Apologies for going off-course.
      All those horrors of commuting suddenly came all back.

Comment

I will still need to commute to the city and will then have to fork out a few grand every year for travel instead of the tenner I used to pay everyday on the underground.
        Take the district line for example. When this overcrowding got worse, the old trains were replaced with the new interconnecting carriage trains - the overcrowding has still not gone down! Where I live, when you got off the train there would be 20 people heading towards the open barriers during the evening. Now, you have hundreds going up the ramp on both sides from a single train.

I used to do my weekly shopping on a weekend from a certain place. The journey took me 15 mins. 5 years ago. Now, I no longer do weekend shopping and instead do it on weekdays. That 15 mins. journey takes over an hour of sitting in traffic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DrUJVNeW4AAQZNh?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	4203785
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	DrUJVNeW4AAQZNh?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	4203785
          How Apple new releases have changed
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You have to be seriously thick to believe this.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

You have to be seriously thick to believe this.
              Many apologies. I kind of lost it there for a bit. All those horrible commuting memories came back. Please forgive me.

Comment

I believe the Outside contracting market is now picking up after an otherwise flat-lined year.

I had a couple of months of something Inside last year, did not get on with the whole forced Inside ethos, the project wasn't working and so resigned. I then politely refused all overtures from agents for anything Inside while hoping there were others doing the same, the news of which hopefully and eventually flowing toward the clients who might still want access to the whole (but depleted) contractor market.

Anyway, have started a new Outside contract as others are still being communicated to me. It'll pick up, to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  I believe the Outside contracting market is now picking up after an otherwise flat-lined year.

I had a couple of months of something Inside last year, did not get on with the whole forced Inside ethos, the project wasn't working and so resigned. I then politely refused all overtures from agents for anything Inside while hoping there were others doing the same, the news of which hopefully and eventually flowing toward the clients who might still want access to the whole (but depleted) contractor market.

Anyway, have started a new Outside contract as others are still being communicated to me. It'll pick up, to be sure.
                  You are brave taking an outside contract given that HMRC are only now starting to focus on checking them. I hope you contract doesn't have a claw back clause and you've actually seen an SDS issued by the correct entity (which may be the ultimate end client).
                  Last edited by eek; 8 February 2022, 10:46.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

You are brave taking an outside contract given that HMRC are only now starting to focus on checking them. I hope you clause doesn't have a claw back clause and you've actually seen an SDS issued by the correct entity (which may be the ultimate end client).
                    Notwithstanding the theory of Chapter 10, the risks may be greater now than with Chapter 8 ("old IR35"), simply because the Fee Payer and/or end client are likely to fold under pressure from HMRC (whereas HMRC would invariably lose under Chapter 8) and will then seek to blame and recover losses from elsewhere in the supply chain, hence the comment above about claw back clauses. That is why, personally, I will not accept any work under the Chapter 10 rules, but YMMV; if you do, note the point above about claw backs very carefully indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't quite understand the point you are making. PS roles tended to be, on average, 450 to 500 a day. The one I was on and many more stories on here uplifted to 700 which goes a long way to correcting the 30% odd drop income. Not equal but a good increase when the tax situation isn't really the clients problem. Many didn't uplift. The non-public sector increase isn't bad at all either. Not sure what you mean about effort and demand though?

All above assumes you are comparing like for like roles and those that were 500 before and 750 after. Just picking a couple of roles here and there and assuming that's a generic situation for all clients is wholly wrong.
                      I was talking nonsense NLUK, especially when they a someone with a specific skill e.g Service Design, DevOps on Kafka, Kubernetes e.g
                      I just seen a role for £800 for SC Devops come in for Inside IR35. I should've check these rates against a reputable site e.g. https://www.contractorumbrella.com/r...ye-calculator/

Comment

Working...
                      X