• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

Quite a few in my neck of the woods have made the trip up to Edinburgh over the past 6-12 months so the market is holding up in Scotland seemingly better than elsewhere, I wonder why?
    maybe businesses are confident that Scotland will become independent and will not suffer much from brexit? I don't know, seems like a long shot...

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      maybe businesses are confident that Scotland will become independent and will not suffer much from brexit? I don't know, seems like a long shot...
      They shouldn't be confident about that given there's a waiting list for countries to join the EU!

Comment

Market for AWS Data skills is red hot, both permie and contractor. I was expecting things to get quiet until January but I have two 2nd stage interviews within the next 5 days and waiting for feedback on a couple more calls.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          They shouldn't be confident about that given there's a waiting list for countries to join the EU!
          Don't know about that. I've heard/read so many stories. For example one saying Scotland would be able to cut the queue for reasons I don't remember. Wtf know what's ever going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            £35k-80k devops perm roles = hundreds, maybe thousands of roles. One well known agent had two dozen live roles in the £25-45k range for a single end-client.

devops contract market = the jury is out.

One well known agency circulated a word document two weeks ago with a list of a dozen benched devops contract candidates.

And yeah, we all see the adverts on Jobslut but i am not sure how many of them are real.

On the other hand, Python with R skills and able to manipulate data subsets within a lake means you can get a lottery ticket to the front office bonus pool and don't need to post on here anymore with us peasants as £35k will be your monthly take-home.
            I have been toying with the idea of getting into data science as there is some overlap with my skillset but the route does not look easy. A few years ago it was PhD only but there have been a raft of MSc courses open up (some remote online) and thought about giving it a go.

However there will literally be hundreds if not thousands of Data Science graduates coming out of uni in the next year or two and I am not sure if the roles are there for them.

If you like stats and programming you will love Data Science however I have sat with guys doing practical data science and personally it is something I found a little bit boring.

Comment

I have been toying with the idea of getting into data science as there is some overlap with my skillset but the route does not look easy. A few years ago it was PhD only but there have been a raft of MSc courses open up (some remote online) and thought about giving it a go.

However there will literally be hundreds if not thousands of Data Science graduates coming out of uni in the next year or two and I am not sure if the roles are there for them.

If you like stats and programming you will love Data Science however I have sat with guys doing practical data science and personally it is something I found a little bit boring.
              I've been told that here is a good starting point - Anaconda | The World's Most Popular Data Science Platform - I'll be looking at it over Christmas to see how quickly I can get up to speed with the essentials for data warehousing and data mining rather than Python as a whole language.

I'm quite wary of what companies call data science - I have heard of one company whose data scientist is simply their person who builds SSRS reports....
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do speak to a variety of recruiters and/or companies before you are put off. I have worked with several Data Scientists and they have very varied background.

Comment

On the infrastructure side of the house, anyone with messaging, migrations and Office 365 seems to be in demand at the moment. It's been a slightly less quiet 3 weeks looking than i'd be used to, but I've now got 3 tele interviews lined up and 2 waiting to be confirmed. Infrastructure is definitely not as bad as I have seen it at other times of year.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I've been told that here is a good starting point - Anaconda | The World's Most Popular Data Science Platform - I'll be looking at it over Christmas to see how quickly I can get up to speed with the essentials for data warehousing and data mining rather than Python as a whole language.

I'm quite wary of what companies call data science - I have heard of one company whose data scientist is simply their person who builds SSRS reports....
                    I suspect you are correct, it is subject to title inflation like any other role be it devops or scrum master. One companies idea will be the guy who builds/runs the BI reports, another will be someone who can configure Tensorflow.

Real data science where you come up with ground breaking insights is probably PhD territory, but most companies should be fine using off the shelf and someone who can make sense of the results.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I've worked with "Data Scientists" whose job was to take database dumps given to them in CSV format and produce pivot tables for management to play with. I they were really lucky, they were asked to create a Powerpoint Pack highlighting key findings!

Job titles are pretty much meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                      X