• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Changed my LinkedIn status to available yesterday and I got nothing... Usually would have influx of messages and phone calls. Checked Jobserve out and there is a handful of poor paying perm jobs and 0 contracts.

I know I have been seriously looking for no more than 24 hours but the mood music has certainly changed.
    Welcome to the tulipstorm

Comment

Originally posted by dreamy View Post
      Started contract at clientco last year in a small team of contractors. Clientco started talk regarding ir35 determination and I quietly mentioned to them that anything other than outside and I would leave (all the other contractors were of the same opinion). They decided to defer decision until new year and now have come back and said my contract is outside.

I've been lucky that my clientco has taken the time to understand the regulations and then decide that they do not apply to me (and my team). I guess the other big factor was that they would lose their team if they took the quick blanket, least risk approach.

It's not all doom and gloom so hang in there.
      congrats. so happy for you

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
        Contract almost up now expecting to have to go perm if anyone will take a 40 year old ex contractor.
        you're experienced, have the skills, nothing to worry about. it's a skills driven market these days, i'm sure you would be in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
          you're experienced, have the skills, nothing to worry about. it's a skills driven market these days, i'm sure you would be in demand.
          Not so, no one wants a old grandad (over 35) in the team these days

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            Changed my LinkedIn status to available yesterday and I got nothing... Usually would have influx of messages and phone calls. Checked Jobserve out and there is a handful of poor paying perm jobs and 0 contracts.

I know I have been seriously looking for no more than 24 hours but the mood music has certainly changed.
            Jobserve (along with indeed and cw jobs) is as useful as a sodium teapot.

Half the jobs there are out of date, or CV farming. I gave up with it after hundreds of applications and not a sausage.

Had better results registering with agencies directly online.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

really??

Comment

Not so, if you're going for a big enterprise, big banks they would love to have an over 35 onboard. Afaik the big players won't hire that many under 35s.
                All of my team are 40+

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                  Not so, if you're going for a big enterprise, big banks they would love to have an over 35 onboard. Afaik the big players won't hire that many under 35s.
                  All of my team are 40+
                  I’ve only been in banking for 20 years, last few years agile teams don’t won’t old git’s (35+)

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
                    Jobserve (along with indeed and cw jobs) is as useful as a sodium teapot.

Half the jobs there are out of date, or CV farming. I gave up with it after hundreds of applications and not a sausage.

Had better results registering with agencies directly online.
                    i agree. in a skilled professioned industry, these days jobsites are a platform for recruiters to pick up CVs (mainly from grads/juniors)
                    As a senior, you're more likely stand a better chance of picking something up directly from recruiters from LinkedIn.

Comment

I’ve only been in banking for 20 years, last few years agile teams don’t won’t old git’s (35+)
                      oh really? which banks are those?

Comment

Working...
                      X