• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    It could be a foolish question, but does IR35 in any way apply to larger consultancies that supply bodies to the client but in terms of the 3 pillars and respect them only partially? Sure they have the right of substitution but direction and control is always there...
    Most of the consultants working for large consultancies aren't owners of the consultancy. They are on PAYE already and thus the consultancy is already paying employers NI.

If the consultant was actually a contractor then the consultancy would need to decide whether they were inside/outside IR35 as they are the "employer" ... that's my understanding any way.

Comment

Started contract at clientco last year in a small team of contractors. Clientco started talk regarding ir35 determination and I quietly mentioned to them that anything other than outside and I would leave (all the other contractors were of the same opinion). They decided to defer decision until new year and now have come back and said my contract is outside.

I've been lucky that my clientco has taken the time to understand the regulations and then decide that they do not apply to me (and my team). I guess the other big factor was that they would lose their team if they took the quick blanket, least risk approach.

It's not all doom and gloom so hang in there.

Comment

Changed my LinkedIn status to available yesterday and I got nothing... Usually would have influx of messages and phone calls. Checked Jobserve out and there is a handful of poor paying perm jobs and 0 contracts.

I know I have been seriously looking for no more than 24 hours but the mood music has certainly changed.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Changed my LinkedIn status to available yesterday and I got nothing... Usually would have influx of messages and phone calls. Checked Jobserve out and there is a handful of poor paying perm jobs and 0 contracts.

I know I have been seriously looking for no more than 24 hours but the mood music has certainly changed.
          And it's actually picked up since Christmas!

Comment

Not much around at the moment. Even the irrelevant phone calls have stopped. It is difficult to say if this is due to

- the usual jan/feb lull
            - the IR35 debacle
            - not being a DevOps god
            - statistical noise

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Not much around at the moment. Even the irrelevant phone calls have stopped. It is difficult to say if this is due to

- the usual jan/feb lull
              - the IR35 debacle
              - not being a DevOps god
              - statistical noise
              Can you do DevOps? OR, can you do it but you don't know that you can?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

- the usual jan/feb lull
                - the IR35 debacle
                - not being a DevOps god
                - statistical noise
                I've not been contracting for decades, but from the few years I have been - I'd say it's more than the typical seasonal lull.

Comment

- the usual jan/feb lull
                  - the IR35 debacle
                  - not being a DevOps god
                  - statistical noise
                  You forgot
                  - Brexit

Comment

- the usual jan/feb lull
                    - the IR35 debacle
                    - not being a DevOps god
                    - statistical noise
                    Jobs sites have been dead for 6 months at least. Get 1 call a fortnight maybe.

I dont know how all these 1000s of 'recruitment consultancies' survive.

Contract almost up now expecting to have to go perm if anyone will take a 40 year old ex contractor.

Comment

Anyone heard of Big Talent Group?

They seem to be looking for independent associates

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1725974812

Comment

Working...
                      X