• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Anyone want to have a go at comparing £300 per day inside with £450 outside vs permie at 80K?
    I'll have a stab at it.

300 inside I make 65k
    450 inside I make 80k
    450 outside is in the 'depends' bracket, although clearly the best option.

Comment

Just saw an ad for a Junior Azure BI / Data Warehouse developers for £300 per day. I thought "fair enough, I'll work for a very low rate, keep busy over Christmas and gain Azure on my CV". I called the agent and he pointed out something that I missed: It's Inside Ir35!

According to the agent, he's sent 5 or 6 people down there at that rate and he's getting lots of response. This is not looking good...
      What on earth makes you think you'd be in the running for an "Azure BI / Data Warehouse Developer" position, junior or otherwise, without Azure very much already on your CV?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
        What on earth makes you think you'd be in the running for an "Azure BI / Data Warehouse Developer" position, junior or otherwise, without Azure very much already on your CV?
        I've got lots of experience with SQL Server , Data Warehousing and SSIS as well as Redshift and Snowflake. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to learn Azure during the gig. Neither did the recruiter apparently because he called me and Azure is nowhere on my CV.

It's not the first time I've followed up on a very low paid Azure role and had a positive response. The problem is deciding if it's worth it to work for very low rate to get experience if that skill is then only worth very low rate.

Comment

I've got lots of experience with SQL Server , Data Warehousing and SSIS as well as Redshift and Snowflake. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to learn Azure during the gig. Neither did the recruiter apparently because he called me and Azure is nowhere on my CV.

It's not the first time I've followed up on a very low paid Azure role and had a positive response. The problem is deciding if it's worth it to work for very low rate to get experience if that skill is then only worth very low rate.
          It’s better than hitting F5 on JobServe all day

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Interesting. I wouldn't have had the nerve to apply in that scenario. Maybe I need to cast my net a bit wider.

Comment

Interesting. I wouldn't have had the nerve to apply in that scenario. Maybe I need to cast my net a bit wider.
              I tend to look at specs as a wish list, not a must have. If I can meet at least 75% of the criteria, I take a punt on it. Obviously, there will always be some roles where the skill I'm missing is the whole point of the work, in which case I'd like to think I spot that and avoid being a time waster.

Comment

To be honest, if you've got extensive SQL Server, then you're going to (or at least should) have one eye on Azure as part of the next step. Azure v Redshift v Snowflake seems to be the way BI in the cloud is going. If the market sustains all of them, I'll be surprised. I expect two to carry on but couldn't speculate at the moment. Azure seems an all out Microsoft semi-gamble, Redshift's Amazon so clients may be wary of a potential competitor hosting their data while snowflake is by ex-Oracle guys so is potentially the nicest technical solution. Whether Betamax or VHS wins this one remains to be seen.

In terms of the gig itself, as a hiring manager, I'd consider a senior without Azure wanting a 12 month project to gain Azure as well as a junior person who has some Azure. You can always bin them off sharpish if it's not working.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What on earth is a Junior 'anything' contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    What on earth is a Junior 'anything' contractor?
                    An excuse to pay less.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I tend to look at specs as a wish list, not a must have. If I can meet at least 75% of the criteria, I take a punt on it. Obviously, there will always be some roles where the skill I'm missing is the whole point of the work, in which case I'd like to think I spot that and avoid being a time waster.
                      Sounds better than my current strategy of; only look at jobs where I know 95% of the specs, spend three days learning the remaining 5% before applying, then never even get a reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X