• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thinking about the post above suggesting a poll to gauge how many people are inside/outside IR35, has anyone seen any national data on this from HMRC or any other body?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Just thinking about the post above suggesting a poll to gauge how many people are inside/outside IR35, has anyone seen any national data on this from HMRC or any other body?
      Not sure a complete dataset could exist could it? There's nothing in the data that easily separates outside contractors from people who happen to get rather large share dividends every so often.

Perhaps Inside IR35 people also look, data-wise, exactly the same as ordinary employees.

The self-selecting surveys from IPSE, QDOS and co won't help, almost no one I work with has heard of them.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Rough estimate from the job boards, there are 3 outside contracts for every 2 inside ones. That is based on the what the adverts says. But given that many Inside roles hide the fact in the advert, while Outside roles promote it, i would say the reality is probably closer to 1:1 at the moment, maybe even 2:3 the other way.

But it is not say 3:1 one way or the other, it seems much closer matched at the moment.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 27 April 2023, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Rough estimate from the job boards, there are 3 outside contracts for every 2 inside ones. That is based on the what the adverts says. But given that many Inside roles hide the fact in the advert, while Outside roles promote it, i would say the reality is probably closer to 1:1 at the moment, maybe even 2:3 the other way.

But it is not say 3:1 one way or the other, it seems much closer matched at the moment.
          How many of those outside ones are actually inside cause the client had a re-think or the agency is lying outright just to bring more interest in?

Comment

Purely based on ads I have seen in Jobserve it is about 50-50. It quite possibly varies from sector to sector though, for example banking seems to be risk adverse.

I have yet to have an Inside contract, although that is mainly luck of the draw aided by not working in finance and having gone through the same couple of boutique agents for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              Purely based on ads I have seen in Jobserve it is about 50-50. It quite possibly varies from sector to sector though, for example banking seems to be risk adverse.
              Presumably because they engage thousands of contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Presumably because they engage thousands of contractors.
                Yes, although they tend to be large companies. A smaller outfit having fewer contractors might have the same relative risk.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Not sure a complete dataset could exist could it? There's nothing in the data that easily separates outside contractors from people who happen to get rather large share dividends every so often.

Perhaps Inside IR35 people also look, data-wise, exactly the same as ordinary employees.

The self-selecting surveys from IPSE, QDOS and co won't help, almost no one I work with has heard of them.
                  Fair points. Consensus seems to be nearer towards 50/50 then I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Yes, although they tend to be large companies. A smaller outfit having fewer contractors might have the same relative risk.
                    Outside is better. the risk is on the client and they are responsible and pay NI

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post

Outside is better. the risk is on the client and they are responsible and pay NI
                      Not really. The only outside contracts worth taking are under Chapter 8, not Chapter 10, aka the "off-payroll working rules".

Comment

Working...
                      X