• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
    Outside is better. the risk is on the client and they are responsible and pay NI
    I don't think the client would ever be paying your NI. If it's an outside contract, and you're going through your own limited company, it's up to you to decide what salary to pay yourself; your company would pay the employer's NI, and you would personally pay the employee's NI, but either way it's not the client's responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It would be interesting to do a poll and see who's on an outside contract, inside, currently looking for a contract. I have the impression many people have migrated to inside work but a majority aren't real contractors and should have always been inside IR35. A few inside IR35 people are real contractors and just doing the inside contract to make ends meet.

I'm on an outside contract now and have never worked inside before. My role is such that this is feasible, however Program Managers almost always seem to be inside IR35, due to the type of role. I suspect PerfectStorm's work and mine are mainly outside IR35, due to the knowledge required to complete the role. A manager is almost always inside IR35 and so if that's a contractor's ideal role then they might as well go permie.
      not sure about the "might as well go permie"

in my industry the permie salaries are awful compared to contract rates (we are talking 80k permie vs 700 pd)
      plus you have all the other rubbish (360 feedback, corporate days etc.)
      and you can't move every year as a permie the way you can in contract

Comment

Anyone noticed any green shoots of recovery in the marke this past week or so? I've noticed a couple of outside IR35 contracts appearing in my area (Kotlin back-end dev) and an agency I do some work for in terms of blogging, technical pitches, etc said overall they have seen some signs of a recovery starting.

Comment

Originally posted by SunglassesRon View Post
          Anyone noticed any green shoots of recovery in the marke this past week or so? I've noticed a couple of outside IR35 contracts appearing in my area (Kotlin back-end dev) and an agency I do some work for in terms of blogging, technical pitches, etc said overall they have seen some signs of a recovery starting.
          I work with backend Scala and it is as dead as I can remember

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I work with backend Scala and it is as dead as I can remember
            Funny, you say that. I also have been looking at Scalajobs.com Haha! (selected country="united kingdom") That is the genuine state of the market. JFC!

But hey, about your new Inside IR35 offer, is it a Scala job contract or not?

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Funny, you say that. I also have been looking at Scalajobs.com Haha! (selected country="united kingdom") That is the genuine state of the market. JFC!

But hey, about your new Inside IR35 offer, is it a Scala job contract or not?
              Yes, I only work with Scala and in the banking sector.

The rates/salaries on Scalajobs are typically very low.

Comment

overall they have seen some signs of a recovery starting.
                Until we see real evidence of that here (people getting interviews) its probably the usual agent hype train.

Apparently no more banks are going to go bust and everything is awesome.

Comment

Nope. Hasn't been any pickup in testing roles anyway.

Comment

Finishing my current gig at the end of May and had several good approaches in the last 10 days but the clients are being slow to arrange interviews.

All were through my network, agents seemed to have stopped calling which probably means I need to get networking again if none of these lead to a new role.

Comment

London based tech recruiter on linkedin.

"So, it's nearing 5 weeks that I was notified by my employer that I was being hibernated/made redundant.

The market is scary, I was hoping to see a quick change when April come around, as business' learned of their budgets I was optimistic that we'd see an increase in job openings and a decrease in TA professionals on the market.

I can't even count the number of roles I've applied to, but even then, I'm only one of probably 200+ applicants in every scenario.

I've only been invited to 5 interviews so far, all of which I've made it to the final stage. I've received feedback from 2 that I've been unsuccessful as they've decided to choose a more suitable applicant."

Comment

Working...
                      X