• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Why would you apply for those, you want to apply for a full stack C sharp developer role that requires some experience with React or Angular, something like a 80% back end, 20% front end role.

A role titled "Angular/React Developer" sounds like 80%+ front end work and expert level knowledge of those skills.
    I'm not, I'm just saying that's what I see on jobserve or get approached for. I haven't seen any roles that have looked for 80/20 backend frontend, they are all either 100% backend or looking for a 'fullstack' to do the lot, sadly. I would pounce if I did though.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

I'm not, I'm just saying that's what I see on jobserve or get approached for. I haven't seen any roles that have looked for 80/20 backend frontend, they are all either 100% backend or looking for a 'fullstack' to do the lot, sadly. I would pounce if I did though.
      In my experience no Java/Javascript framework+CSS developer is truly full stack, it's just impossible to be good enough at all of that. Spread too thin some aspects will be too weak and the clients are deluding themselves. Especially as you are now expected to be an expert in DevOps/Kubernetes etc and several SQL/NoSQL/message bus technologies as well.

The industry has truly unmoored from practical reality in the race to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

In my experience no Java/Javascript framework+CSS developer is truly full stack, it's just impossible to be good enough at all of that. Spread too thin some aspects will be too weak and the clients are deluding themselves. Especially as you are now expected to be an expert in DevOps/Kubernetes etc and several SQL/NoSQL/message bus technologies as well.

The industry has truly unmoored from practical reality in the race to the bottom.
        Tech stack list does seem to have continually grown over the last few years. If they are asking for proficiency in x number of technologies how long would you actually being using them? Twelve would be one month in every year (in terms of actual time) etc. One thing I have noticed, certainly with frontend, is the huge number of people that jumped on the bandwagon in the last five years. Also, you give an example of DevOps which can easily be a job in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

For the gigs underneath, do you put dates on each of them?
          I don't put exact dates or date range. I just put the year. If they want to know more (like, length of contract) I'm happy to talk about the specifics during the interview. Putting just the year I found to be enough so the client get an idea of your relevant skillset and when you last used that particular skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

You'd also need to make sure your LinkedIn details don't show those dates, assuming agents are savvy enough to track you down.
            Yeah my linkedin has even less details. Just *current position* [contractor] from 2010 to present. No details of gigs/clients/dates. Nada.

There's also to say that so far most of my contracts have come from a small number of agents that know me pretty well.

Comment

[...]
              £550 - 600 a day down to £300 a day, within a year. Except back in 2001, £300 was worth almost what £550 is today!
              Well that's the problem nowadays, even earning the same as 2-5 years ago, in reality it's earning less and less each year. But I guess with a bunch of new people joining the contracting bandwagon every year, it's a race to the bottom as for them it's still loads of money compared to perm, especially with perm now paying less and less as well. I've been on the same rate for the last two years, but since it's the most I've been on since well forever, I'm not rocking the boat, happy I still have a contract with my niche skills tbh.

On the other hand, I read that average pay is going up constantly, so there's that as well

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                Well that's the problem nowadays, even earning the same as 2-5 years ago
                Contract day rates for my skills have been £500 to £600 for the last 23 years. Except for the odd bear market where they dip.

It reminds me of lap dances, a guy i used to know used to laugh that lap dances were constantly £20 everywhere and every year.

The last time i was in a lap dances place was 15 years ago, no idea how much one costs these days... but wouldnt be suprised if they are still £20.

Comment

Contract day rates for my skills have been £500 to £600 for the last 23 years. Except for the odd bear market where they dip.

It reminds me of lap dances, a guy i used to know used to laugh that lap dances were constantly £20 everywhere and every year.

The last time i was in a lap dances place was 15 years ago, no idea how much one costs these days... but wouldnt be suprised if they are still £20.
                  Is that Inside or Outside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

per P.U.N.T.E.R?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

My accountant is on holiday, can they be expensed?

Unrelated question but if not how would I remove something I bought accidentally from my company credit card statement

Comment

Working...
                      X