• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

700 inside ir35 is what the Indian outsourcers are currently offering to those wanting to work at a bank in central london.

Its just over 500 a day outside equivalent, thats not been 'very good' money since about 2006.

Those aren’t real jobs you are supposed to apply for! They’re to justify shipping in yet more Indians because they “can’t find anyone”.

Current rates are 850 - 1050 inside, 700 - 850 outside.

That’s for bad Java programmers (I wouldn’t know what a good one gets ).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Utter crap. I did two stints at Gov dept and was outside on both, one after the legislation hit. I'd agree stop bothering looking at the frameworks yes but nothing wrong with keeping an eye on Gov gigs via agencies and consultancies. The inside rates were upped to cover the change in legislation and there are still some outside roles going.

So more bollocks from you but I am sure there will be more.
      Public sector is the absolute pitts. Slow moving, bureaucracy, mediocre people. It does not surprise me that you're there. During my time at $SoftwareVendor, I did plenty of public sector work, never again.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Those aren’t real jobs you are supposed to apply for! They’re to justify shipping in yet more Indians because they “can’t find anyone”.

Current rates are 850 - 1050 inside, 700 - 850 outside.

That’s for bad Java programmers (I wouldn’t know what a good one gets ).
        For banks in London I would say you are off by about £150-200 a day for inside and there aren't enough outside gigs to even quote a range.
        Last edited by TheDude; 6 July 2022, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

Public sector is the absolute pitts. Slow moving, bureaucracy, mediocre people. It does not surprise me that you're there. During my time at $SoftwareVendor, I did plenty of public sector work, never again.
          That's the freaking dream.

I did 6 months at the Scottish Government in 2019. Inside contract but day rate was good, I was happy with the money I was making. Everything was extremely slow just like you said. It was soul crushing. So, despite having my extension approved, I declined and went looking for more exciting work. At the time we were all in the office 5 days a week so I was literally bored out of my mind.

Not staying was the biggest mistake I ever made. The project I was working on got delivered only a couple of months ago so hypothetically I could have earned a good chunk of money for 2.5 years while working from home, delivering the little work I was asked to and working on something else for 80% of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

For banks in London I would say you are off by about £150-200 a day for inside and there aren't enough outside gigs to even quote a range.
            Off in which direction?

Here’s one where you don’t even need to be able to spell equities and derivatives:

Requirements
            • Java, Multithreading
            • Exposure to Low latency, High frequency systems
            • Front office experience
            • Equites or Derivates is highly desirable

This role is paying £900p/d via umbrella on a 6 month rolling contract

James Curtis, Huxley if anyone wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

This role is paying £900p/d via umbrella on a 6 month rolling contract

James Curtis, Huxley if anyone wants it.

Just quickly looking on jobserve, average rate for java developers in banking was £763 a day, nearly all inside.

There will always be contracts well above the average/market rate, but less and less in number the higher you up go.

You reckoned it was 850 - 1050, so £950 according to you, TheDude said you were 150 - 200 over, he seems to be correct.
              Last edited by Fraidycat; 8 July 2022, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Just quickly looking on jobserve, average rate for java developers in banking was £763 a day, nearly all inside.

There is will always be contracts well above the average/market rate, but less and less in number the higher you up go.
                *fewer*
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

The public sector has a lot of constraints meaning it will never be as fast moving as much of the private sector. But the private sector also has plenty of bureaucracy, resistance to change and lots and lots of very ordinary performers. The UK has quite a long tail of low investment, low growth and low innovation businesses, many of which should have gone to the wall over the last 10-15 years but have been propped up by very low interest rates. To think that all the private sector is marvellous is patently untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Yeah, but if my theory is correct then that average would include all the fake jobs that are added to demonstrate that they “can’t find anyone” and need to ship over another Indian.

Maybe I’m not getting emails about low paid jobs because the pimps know I would just laugh at them (I always used to quote high rates in a failed attempt to remain unemployed).

It’s possible that people are lining up to take 700/day inside ir35 banking contracts, but I hope not. I’m still gunning for that four figure salary if I ever have to demean myself by taking an inside role.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

The public sector has a lot of constraints meaning it will never be as fast moving as much of the private sector. But the private sector also has plenty of bureaucracy, resistance to change and lots and lots of very ordinary performers. The UK has quite a long tail of low investment, low growth and low innovation businesses, many of which should have gone to the wall over the last 10-15 years but have been propped up by very low interest rates. To think that all the private sector is marvellous is patently untrue.
                      Agreed.

I've had finance and public sector contracts where if I described them and some of the people around me you wouldn't know which was which unless I told you.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X