• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Like what's been pointed out, it's not a Russian company and its highly likely they have had to make thousands of Russians redundant therefore, opportunity calls for non-Russians.
    The company was founded in Russia - the fact that it is part of a larger organisation is irrelevant to me.

Comment

Market feels bad, with all the crap that's going on in American inflation

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
        Market feels bad, with all the crap that's going on in American inflation
        And yet those stories about a skills shortage in information technology keep coming through... also the south Asians will be / are getting new work visa soonish ... what else is new?

As far as America goes, watching from Buckinghamshire, I see constant lay-offs to do with ill-fated web3 and nft cryptocurrencies (e.g. https://twitter.com/Mr312/status/152...PkDPtnUKOggo_g cameo fameo) and then the battle between working remotely and in a fixed office increasing more and more (e.g. https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status...PkDPtnUKOggo_g Apple )

It might be that for your world view, you are noticing that workers are sticking into their employment and waiting for axes to drop, despite P&O Ferries. People are scared of jumping ship, because they have families and mortgages. Yet I agree, this should be increasing "real" demand out in the market. As a permie now for 1 year, I am getting itchy feet, so I would be certainly looking for annual employment salaries to increase year by year, but from what I see, I don't see this either. It looks like salaries are the same as 2021. ?!?
        Last edited by rocktronAMP; 11 May 2022, 07:41.

Comment

I am earning the same permie salary as I was in 2006 (85k). It's been more and less since then.

The "war for talent" is a load of old bollocks.

Comment

Re: Asia skills shortage, it's a real one for SAP and Salesforce. The one in the UK is almost always a fake one but we will see some ripples in SAP and Salesforce eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              I am earning the same permie salary as I was in 2006 (85k). It's been more and less since then.

I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                If you are in the wrong ecosystem, you might think that.

All the REACT/ AWS/ Golang people I know are earning over £700 a day. Highest is £850 outside. I know because I can see the billable rates and the agencies are on a fixed margin.

If you look on Jobserve, there are similar sounding roles paying £300, and those contractors would likely bite your hand off to get £500.

Neither group is wrong.

‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
                  If you are in the wrong ecosystem, you might think that.

All the REACT/ AWS/ Golang people I know are earning over £700 a day. Highest is £850 outside. I know because I can see the billable rates and the agencies are on a fixed margin.

If you look on Jobserve, there are similar sounding roles paying £300, and those contractors would likely bite your hand off to get £500.

Neither group is wrong.
                  Fair points, well made - I am trying to switch ecosystems as we speak
                  Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 11 May 2022, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The original company was Russian which would have been enough for me to reject them even if I hadn't seen examples of their work before.
                    Why would you not work for a Russian company? Don't understand this at all. On similar lines of Wimbledon banning Russian players pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Why would you not work for a Russian company? Don't understand this at all. On similar lines of Wimbledon banning Russian players pretty much.
                      morals. scruples. reputation.

I'm quite mercenary but I draw the line somewhere.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X