• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    99% of contracts in what I do (Workday) are still inside - despite clients generally having zero people with the same skills, and most assignments being one-off projects, way outside business as usual activities.

I guess it's somewhat dependent on the sector.

There are more contracts about though, which is slightly encouraging.

As I won't work inside, I've been a permie for the last couple of years, waiting it out to see if things improve.
    You are probably party to a different issue - multinationals remember what happened with the IRS back in the 1980-2005 and corporate memories are very long when the costs and pain are massive.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      99% of contracts in what I do (Workday) are still inside - despite clients generally having zero people with the same skills, and most assignments being one-off projects, way outside business as usual activities.

I guess it's somewhat dependent on the sector.

There are more contracts about though, which is slightly encouraging.

As I won't work inside, I've been a permie for the last couple of years, waiting it out to see if things improve.
      Presumably the type of firms that use Workday are rather large and have instigated blanket bans on outside IR35 engagements.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Presumably the type of firms that use Workday are rather large and have instigated blanket bans on outside IR35 engagements.
        Yes - exactly this.

Comment

I have noticed that I am being approached a lot more for contract roles at the likes of Infosys, Tata, Crap Gemini etc etc.

An inevitable effect of IR35?

Comment

I have noticed that I am being approached a lot more for contract roles at the likes of Infosys, Tata, Crap Gemini etc etc.

Possibly, because we are in the middle of tight labour markets. Great skills and cheap salaries / low contractor rates are hard to find. The above companies are chancing their arms and promising to resource for future tender. And Dudie you are 100% right not to play ball, if you can help it!

Comment

they can't fill the roles, only so many people will work at *insert crap London based workplace* et al. for 700pd inside ir35 and those that take these roles will try and get out in short order.

maket is really moving at the minute, something will need to give in the London market eventually, might take a while but they can't get getting and retaining the best candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

they can't fill the roles, only so many people will work at *insert crap London based workplace* et al. for 700pd inside ir35 and those that take these roles will try and get out in short order.

maket is really moving at the minute, something will need to give in the London market eventually, might take a while but they can't get getting and retaining the best candidates.

I have been quoting high rates and they follow up but it goes nowhere.

I suspect they want a few high rates to justify the chancers they are putting forwards on £500pd

Comment

I have been quoting high rates and they follow up but it goes nowhere.

I suspect they want a few high rates to justify the chancers they are putting forwards on £500pd
                  Maybe for a laugh say you'll do it for £450 and see where you get to.

Comment

Not many contracts at the moment for my line of work (UX and UI Design) although the few roles I've been contacted for are fairly well paid.

One contract in particular has the highest rate I've ever been put forward at (almost £200 a day higher than my highest rate so far). The recruiter clearly said "the client is looking for someone because the resource they have is underperforming and they want to get rid of them". OK, no pressure there

Lots more roles for User Researchers and Service Designers...these seem to be the hot trends now.

Comment

Finished up at a place and loathe to put my CV online as the calls from the "jabappatunity" types are getting me down as it is. Soon, though.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X