• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

or the data has become flooded with nonsensical buzz words.

or there’s another tech that’s kicking arse rn but I don’t see it in the data so meh who knows
    that's why this forum remains an important source of information, assuming people contribute their own experiences.

In terms of my burner phone, its stopped ringing last week. I assume the spectre of the incoming budget statement in 2 weeks is going to slow things down now.
    Last edited by Bluenose; 2 March 2023, 13:03.

Comment

For what it is worth there seems to be a lot of activity in the Rust and Blockchain world atm.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I've had a couple of "how are you finding the market?" from agents which isn't a great sign.

This time of year should be starting to get busy due to new financial year budgets and I've not really seen that yet.

I think most of the website advertised jobs still are on jobserve and it's fairly empty. Some roles smell like old ones reheated for agent make work CV collecting.

I'm starting to wondering if this a downturn like 2000 or 2008 and I'll need to up my linkedin game and start to get more flexible.

Anyway good luck to all job hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
          I've had a couple of "how are you finding the market?" from agents which isn't a great sign.
          It's when agents start delivering Harvest Festival style food parcels to contractors they have placed that we have to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post

I'm starting to wondering if this a downturn like 2000 or 2008 and I'll need to up my linkedin game and start to get more flexible.
            I had to check to see if my burner phone was still charged this morning. It's not going off at all.

Things should pick up after the statement next Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

That's jinxed things.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                You mean when they confirm the CT increase, among other tax increases, and confirm no replacement for the super-deduction?

Also, it's Wednesday.

Comment

I got a 3-month extension, so 6 months in total, but a friend who is looking said they applied for many front-end contract React roles but never heard back.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
                    they applied for many front-end contract React roles but never heard back.
                    That was my experience recently too over the last couple of months, silence, and i found it hard to get agents on the phone.
                    Rates seem to have softened as well.

I think we are due a really bad downturn and i think it will happen later this year. It goes without saying that 5% interest rates are not good when everyone has been used to almost 0% over the previous 13 years.

There is supposed to be a lag between raising rates and the economy actually slowing. So we haven't seen the worst yet. They are still in the raising stage.

I have taken a perm offer, and when things pick up will jump back to contracting. Criteria was a perm role where i am least likely to be laid off if things get bad over the the next 18 months.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 10 March 2023, 09:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      There is supposed to be a lag between raising rates and the economy actually slowing. So we haven't seen the worst yet. They are still in the raising stage.
                      Yup, it's going to be like 1972 all over again. Tory government with high inflation and failing economy due to cronyism will lose to a more centrist party or coalition, and within a few years it will be forgotten about what got us into the mess and only who took over and had to take us through the pain to get us out of it.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X