• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have see the one for the NHS on the boards the other day wanting something similar down south for £200 a day.. Riiiiight.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I had a email yesterday for a Service Process Designer wanting £400pd skills and experience for 'upto' £300pd, which means that they'd offer £250-275 if you bothered to contact them.

Mind you it was in Oldham, but it's still £100 short.
      Companies will always try it on - because someone has got the idea that the skill set is worth x so that's what they will pay..

Then one of 3 things occur:-

1) they find someone who is crap and may or may not realise
      2) they keep looking
      3) they keep looking and finally ask someone what a suitable rate is for the skill set and offer that....

Mind you you could be paying the current market consultancy rate and still get crap.... The simple rule is that unless you know what you are doing find someone else who does know to help you out...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Mind you you could be paying the current market consultancy rate and still get crap.... The simple rule is that unless you know what you are doing find someone else who does know to help you out...
        Very true, but works the other way too: Had a 3.5 monther outside London for ~£500 a day and they didn't have any tasks for me. Zero, none, nada, zilch - they didn't know what I can do, they didn't know the technology in question, so just sat there 9 till 5 reading the web.
        Boring times....

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
          Very true, but works the other way too: Had a 3.5 monther outside London for ~£500 a day and they didn't have any tasks for me. Zero, none, nada, zilch - they didn't know what I can do, they didn't know the technology in question, so just sat there 9 till 5 reading the web.
          Boring times....
          You got to play this one to your advantage, get the laptop out spin up some VMs and play with some new technology. Walk around with a piece of paper, find some laydees to chat up. Get noticed. Then you get extended and its invoice, invoice, invoice!

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
            Boring times....
            This contract is the same, I'm in after two consultancies screwed up....

Currently I've undone 80% of what they did and added 3 pieces of custom functionality to provide the things they actually need (all of which are owned by me and I will shortly start selling to others). The strange thing is that I'm under no pressure to deliver...

They've just created another requirement and that will be an even nicer thing to sell to others (it doesn't require much coding but looks mightily impressive).

The strange thing is I'm not doing much during the day but working long hours every night to implement the version I can flog to others...
            Last edited by eek; 21 July 2016, 09:13.

Comment

Currently I've undone 80% of what they did and added 3 pieces of custom functionality to provide the things they actually need (all of which are owned by me and I will shortly start selling to others). The strange thing is that I'm under no pressure to deliver...

They've just created another requirement and that will be an even nicer thing to sell to others (it doesn't require much coding but looks mightily impressive).

The strange thing is I'm not doing much during the day but working long hours every night to implement the version I can flog to others...
              At least you did something. In mine I haven't written a single line of code, and I mean it literally nothing. Very boring, so boring in fact I was bored to polish my other skills/new skills.

Comment

Can't you take your laptop into work and free up your evenings?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Can't you take your laptop into work and free up your evenings?
                  Nope clientco ICT policy won't allow it (believe me the policy is hilariously insane). Also I want to explicitly keep home and work separate to avoid any problems down the line... The fact I'm prototyping during the day and developing it at night is neither here nor there...

Finally, I'm away from home Andy may as well do something in my evenings

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Odd, I just got a 50% increase albeit abroad...
                    Yes, I confirm the same observation. Started getting offers in Germany, Findland, Netherlands, Belgium... But Germany stands out.

But no UK.

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                      Lol are you trolling? Another convenient 50% drop.
                      No, I'm not trolling. :-( Today I spotted offers with range 120-200/day in... London.

Comment

Working...
                      X