• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The site does not allow a word for excrement that begins sh.... Tulip is the word used to get around it...
    Get around it means if you put the sh.. word the swear filter automatically changes it for you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Get around it means if you put the sh.. word the swear filter automatically changes it for you.
      I actually type it each time..

      Mind you I also type fluff instead of f**k - you can blame that on I hate Fairyland which I heartly recommend - its fluffing awesome...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

      Comment


        Originally posted by eek View Post
        I actually type it each time..
        Blimey. If that's not a sign you've been around the forums too long I don't know what is.

        Mind you I also type fluff instead of f**k - you can blame that on I hate Fairyland which I heartly recommend - its fluffing awesome...
        I really don't know whether to click that after the end of that sentence
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

        Comment


          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Blimey. If that's not a sign you've been around the forums too long I don't know what is.



          I really don't know whether to click that after the end of that sentence
          It's worth saying that I never swear. If I do start swearing its because I'm very annoyed.... It's why I like masked versions, I can swear without most people noticing.....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

          Comment


            My personal experience monitoring (3 months) higher end of London C# dev (>650) - it is dead.

            Comment


              Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
              My personal experience monitoring (3 months) higher end of London C# dev (>650) - it is dead.
              You can still get that and above but you need either Algo/low-latency experience or WPF with Rx. It is competitive though, I'll give you that. I've just started a new contract and the rate is less than £ 600 for the first time in years. Better to be in work though.

              Comment


                Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                You can still get that and above but you need either Algo/low-latency experience or WPF with Rx. It is competitive though, I'll give you that. I've just started a new contract and the rate is less than £ 600 for the first time in years. Better to be in work though.
                Have both. Just market dead. Even in dead market you can find contract, just in good times you can get 2 offers in one day, in current market depends on your luck. In current project we have hiring freeze and project is only on "life support".

                Comment


                  Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                  Have both. Just market dead. Even in dead market you can find contract, just in good times you can get 2 offers in one day, in current market depends on your luck. In current project we have hiring freeze and project is only on "life support".
                  What's the feeling now we are nearly two months since the Brexit reference vote?

                  It's been a horrid week. I think the state of the market is still tulip in September, because at the beginning I had 4 potential leads on Monday. By Friday they all fell away. Three were from recruitment agents but they fell through one essential requirement or the other. One of those leads came from Linked-In, but the project manager called off the meeting because they haven't decided the final architecture. He said that they might be able to solve their issue by configuring the Java enterprise server.

                  I could blame myself, because I deliberately restricted my CV for partial remote working at least in the Summer months. I had family stuff to look after. I also didn't want to be stuck coding ancient legacy software against Java 1.6, Apache Tomcat, Spring Framework 2, Struts. If you have no idea what I am talking about then Java 1.6 is almost 10 years old! I had had enough of it at my last client. They are stuck in the past mainly because of they sell software to a global household name that has this restrictive deployment environment. In contrast, the new funky kids are having great fun coding with Java 8 and playing in the sandpit with Amazon Web Services and Spring Boot and cloud services. In other words, I am holding out for something a bit modern as a software engineer.

                  Fingers crossed everybody!

                  Comment


                    Plenty of Java dev roles around at the mo, especially in London. I've had to turn down roles, been going direct for a number of years now by sourcing work from my network so not sure how difficult trying to find a gig through an agent is these days though.

                    Comment


                      Situation will not be helped by boatload of contractors from Project Failbow who have enjoyed their 1 month gardening leave in August are now burning up phone-lines trying to get a new contract.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X