• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to admit Business analysis and solution architecture work seems to be doing perfectly fine in the north east. I expect the DWP jobs at Benton will cause a lot of noise in the run up and post April

Comment

London market has improved significantly compared to Q1 and Q2.

It will all go dead again at the beginning of October, as per usual.

Comment

Just had a very illuminating chat with an agent.

Tried to sell me a £300 pd gig in Exeter.

No thanks was the gist of my reply but just to humour him, I listened to his spiel for a bit.

The market is so bad that he claims he has plenty of candidates prepared to crawl over broken glass down the A30 just to do a face to face.

It's the worst it's ever been, apparently, & he's never seen it this bad in all his career. I was just beginning to regret having walked from my most recent role when he told me his age.

He's right about there being plenty of people prepared to upsticks & move to the other side of the country for a not very good rate.

Indians, in a word.

Going back a few years, if you went for a local role which was a shoe in for your skillset, you'd be almost guaranteed to get the job. Nowadays, you've got this new flexible workforce that can move anywhere at the drop of a hat because a lot of them are young, single and without eye watering mortgages to pay.

There's no point thinking about it though, it just makes your blood boil.

Comment

Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
          There's no point thinking about it though, it just makes your blood boil.
          No it doesn't.... A lot of us on here have for years said that you need to get up the food chain and away from work that has low barriers of entry....

Nothing is going to change the above you need to find a way to work around it....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            No it doesn't.... A lot of us on here have for years said that you need to get up the food chain and away from work that has low barriers of entry....

Nothing is going to change the above you need to find a way to work around it....
            That's fine if you are given the opportunity in one of your gigs to capitalise on such as bigging up a bit of workstream lead stuff you did for one client to get a scrum master role somewhere else.

But, yes - I need to get away from the Microsoft stack type stuff because that's well and truly saturated with overseas competition.

Comment

That's fine if you are given the opportunity in one of your gigs to capitalise on such as bigging up a bit of workstream lead stuff you did for one client to get a scrum master role somewhere else.

But, yes - I need to get away from the Microsoft stack type stuff because that's well and truly saturated with overseas competition.
              Always pick your contract on the basis of what it adds to your CV when you look for the subsequent contract.

It may at times lead to longer gaps between contracts but longer term it leads to more money and a sustainable career.

Comment

Surely you could have seen this coming 10 years a go?

That technical roles will be outsourced and competition will increase, and business focuses roles that require 'U.K.' soft skills will remain as is. Plus management roles.

No need to get angry at Indians when it's you that could have shifted into another area...

Comment

Exactly why I stayed permie for so long.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                    Surely you could have seen this coming 10 years a go?

That technical roles will be outsourced and competition will increase, and business focuses roles that require 'U.K.' soft skills will remain as is. Plus management roles.

No need to get angry at Indians when it's you that could have shifted into another area...

I enjoy doing technical roles and I'd like to remain in a hands on technical role.

Secondly, I'm not angry at Indians. Just the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by munkee View Post
                      Got to admit Business analysis and solution architecture work seems to be doing perfectly fine in the north east. I expect the DWP jobs at Benton will cause a lot of noise in the run up and post April
                      Some of that solution architecture will fall over well before April... I know WSP inside out and April was only the lesser reason for not taking that contract...

Comment

Working...
                      X