• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's not a bad shower, that's someone who doesn't understand how showers work.
    The run of the hot pipe will determine how long it takes to get from supply to shower. Most people understand that and leave the shower set to about the right temperature, then the next time turn it on and wait a couple of seconds before hopping in. If you find it's going from freezing to boiling to freezing, then you're just too aggressive and impatient with the controls, which most people understand.

It's a bit like people talking about economics and saying that based on the last 15 years, they understand everything.
    Unless he used to one of those electric showers which heats the water just before the shower head? But yeah I normally leave mine (from boiler) running for 1 min till it gets to its temp.

Edit: Just read the post, not talking about showers
    Last edited by Unix; 21 March 2024, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post

Unless he used to one of those electric showers which heats the water just before the shower head? But yeah I normally leave mine (from boiler) running for 1 min till it gets to its temp.
      Yes, maybe that's the only type of shower he's ever experienced. In the same way that many property buyers have never experienced mortgage rates over 6%, therefore assume it is normal for them to be low and don't believe anything else is possible.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh yeah, so "this time it will be different". Its a "new paradigm". etc. 2001 dotcom bubble, people started to believe their own hype. Then GFC banks thought they could only make money out of their clever new financial instruments.

BTW the "dollar milkshake" is an analogy. Since the GFC worldwide there have been low interest rates and stimulus creating lots of "frothy" liquidity - that is the milkshake. The dollar part of the analogy, is that a stronger dollar is a straw, sucking up everyone elses milkshake as higher US interest rates draw in capital. Its a reference to the film There Will be Blood with Daniel Day Lewis, where he reveals that he has been drilling sideways into his neighbours properties and sucking up all their oil.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post

I did Salesforce once. I never put it on my CV so that no-one ever asks me to do it again. What a weird and ghastly product. They even invented their own fork of SQL, which of course means it does not run under standard libraries such as JDBC, so its all string munging. Nice one clowns, they just re-enabled SQL injection attacks!

If you are desperate, there does seem to be some demand for it, so it might keep you alive and out of debt for a while...
          I interviewed for Salesforce once. They offered travel expenses to the interview, which I thought was nice, unusual, but they didnt actually pay up so I thought it was very poor show. They were openly anti white male, in an aggressive racist way, which considering their grand claims and spend on diversity is a sad show for the times. In UK a number of senior people are ex EDS, and they are actively anti anyone who has ever worked for Compaq or HP, as they still feel bitter about the mergers and the constant battles, and they like their cliques they can trust, so dont even bother applying if you are in those categories, it took me a long time to figure all of that out. A lot of the interview was fake BS, more testing salesy presentational skills than the actual skills needed for the role. I thought they were arrogant, and living on the coat tails of their US organisation which invented the thing (well actually copied Tom Siebel and put it in the cloud). Very good hype and marketing. Lots of public domain stuff too about how they have moved their own tech, and had internal battles etc. Been the ultimate decision maker on whether big orgs should adopt SF a number of times, and always found against, partly due to my experiences above, but also the lock in and difficulty moving to anything else when the time comes.

Comment

That's not a bad shower, that's someone who doesn't understand how showers work.
            The run of the hot pipe will determine how long it takes to get from supply to shower. Most people understand that and leave the shower set to about the right temperature, then the next time turn it on and wait a couple of seconds before hopping in. If you find it's going from freezing to boiling to freezing, then you're just too aggressive and impatient with the controls, which most people understand.

It's a bit like people talking about economics and saying that based on the last 15 years, they understand everything.
            There are usually 2 pipes, one for hot and one for cold, with a mixer at the tap. So when you move the tap, the lag is only between the tap and up to the shower head. So it takes just a few seconds.

I think this one must have been an electric job, and a particularly non-responsive one at that. But its just an analogy, you get what I am saying. Central bank interest rate policy is not instant, and usually applied too late. The pressure to act only really comes once the lay offs begin to climb, and by then, the recession is already under way.

I should also add that the interest rate yield curve uninversion, has been a reliable recession signal for at least 100 years, I'm not just talking about the last 15.
            Last edited by willendure; 21 March 2024, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

This is crazy
              Not being funny but seems like you are being paid an offshore rate for an onshore job.

Have you looked at companies like Detica / BAE systems? They are chock full of technical people from top unis.
              Originally posted by willendure View Post

There are usually 2 pipes, one for hot and one for cold, with a mixer at the tap. So when you move the tap, the lag is only between the tap and up to the shower head. So it takes just a few seconds.

I think this one must have been an electric job, and a particularly non-responsive one at that. But its just an analogy, you get what I am saying. Central bank interest rate policy is not instant, and usually applied too late. The pressure to act only really comes once the lay offs begin to climb, and by then, the recession is already under way.

I should also add that the interest rate yield curve uninversion, has been a reliable recession signal for at least 100 years, I'm not just talking about the last 15.

My gosh, what has become of us!

Are we now reduced to talking about hot water flow from pipes! I thought this place was the cutting edge of stardom and technology pursuits.

Right, better get to the gym. At least if I ever get an interview, the receptionists, will know my name
              ​​​

Comment

Can definitely be a bad shower as well, all you need is a scale covered mixer valve and you will see the water temp going up / down randomly as it's introducing lag into the system and most likely over / under shooting heavily. And it doesn't matter if the valve is next to the outlet or further up the stream, symptoms will be similar.

To stay on topic, the issue with Salesforce seems to be:

1. CRM - seems like a very boring thing to do
                2. locking myself into a another "system" - already done this and it's not great
                3. there's work in it, at least at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

This is crazy
                  Not being funny but seems like you are being paid an offshore rate for an onshore job.

Have you looked at companies like Detica / BAE systems? They are chock full of technical people from top unis.
                  Originally posted by dsc View Post

Can definitely be a bad shower as well, all you need is a scale covered mixer valve and you will see the water temp going up / down randomly as it's introducing lag into the system and most likely over / under shooting heavily. And it doesn't matter if the valve is next to the outlet or further up the stream, symptoms will be similar.

To stay on topic, the issue with Salesforce seems to be:

1. CRM - seems like a very boring thing to do
                  2. locking myself into a another "system" - already done this and it's not great
                  3. there's work in it, at least at the moment
                  Just had a call from a recruiter who is looking for a SharePoint developer who has worked on the Chinese version. Paying well, if anyone knows of anyone.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I have done SharePoint but didn't even know there was a Chinese version. I just presumed that all coding was done in English, for some reason.

Comment

I've done a few salesforce gigs as scrum master and product owner (domain ip = airlines, finance), I'm an ex full stack dev and the only thing that I like about salesforce is that multiple lazy IT/CIO's bring it in because they're incompetent, that said the marketing and pickup from lazy clients ensures there is a market - very easy to learn (if you can ignore just how bad some of it is) , jump on salesforce trailhead & collect competency badges/points (the pimps love that) + you will learn the lingo to spread on your cv

downsides ? it's a hoshbosh of software capabilities , back end is a duuuuuuumbeeeed done sql, no complex joins (a throttle on multi-tenancy), widgets and code was/is/ Vlocity/java/their own object methods - it's very disorganised especially when a vendor offers their own salesforce app which then sits on top of this.

Major downside ? Karen management, i.e. people who have been told it's a plug and play without proper assessment and requirements and ended up in a mess & then incessantly want the system to do what they want without requirements

easy contract if you can switch off 3/4 of your brain, but hey, beats stacking shelves........... just

ps:

I used https://trailhead.salesforce.com. during covid to skill up, as there was SFA to do for 4 odd months and the golf courses were closed.
                    Last edited by barely_pointless; 22 March 2024, 09:47.

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
                      I've done a few salesforce gigs as scrum master and product owner (domain ip = airlines, finance), I'm an ex full stack dev and the only thing that I like about salesforce is that multiple lazy IT/CIO's bring it in because they're incompetent, that said the marketing and pickup from lazy clients ensures there is a market - very easy to learn (if you can ignore just how bad some of it is) , jump on salesforce trailhead & collect competency badges/points (the pimps love that) + you will learn the lingo to spread on your cv

downsides ? it's a hoshbosh of software capabilities , back end is a duuuuuuumbeeeed done sql, no complex joins (a throttle on multi-tenancy), widgets and code was/is/ Vlocity/java/their own object methods - it's very disorganised especially when a vendor offers their own salesforce app which then sits on top of this.

Major downside ? Karen management, i.e. people who have been told it's a plug and play without proper assessment and requirements and ended up in a mess & then incessantly want the system to do what they want without requirements

easy contract if you can switch off 3/4 of your brain, but hey, beats stacking shelves........... just

ps:

I used https://trailhead.salesforce.com. during covid to skill up, as there was SFA to do for 4 odd months and the golf courses were closed.
                      Sounds about right - seeing a lot of CRM stuff about

Had a perm job a few years ago - didnt last long there.

They were using Salesforce for completely the wrong type of application. Had nobody on perm who knew how to work with it so had to keep hiring and firing contractors.

Another reason why there will be less dev in future for many companies SAAS.

Replace all bespoke internal systems with some kind of SAAS platform and b*stardise it until it kind of does most of what we want

Comment

Working...
                      X