• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Purely based on my experience there wasn't much of a wind down over Christmas. December was the best month in the search so far and Jobserve is fairly much back to normal already (granted not an entirely reliable metric).

Last time I was looking for something at the end of the year the industry seemed to pack up in mid November!
    The role I interview for this Friday was before Xmas as well its a little weird the way the market works!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      The role I interview for this Friday was before Xmas as well its a little weird the way the market works!
      Not really. Ignore all the pap about quiet periods etc. Understand why clients need us and what drives that need and then it becomes clearer. Guessing at quiet periods just confuses everything.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not really. Ignore all the pap about quiet periods etc. Understand why clients need us and what drives that need and then it becomes clearer. Guessing at quiet periods just confuses everything.
        Just commentary really. I was still chasing a new contract in the Summer while nothing much was happening.

Comment

In my 5 years of contracting, I don't think I've ever heard an agent say the market was anything but quiet. I do wonder what they are using as a benchmark. An agent I have recently gotten a long gig with told me the software development market is slow and he doesn't see it picking up and that perm is a better option. If it was that quiet all the time then they themselves would be out of work. Or is this another underhand tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
            In my 5 years of contracting, I don't think I've ever heard an agent say the market was anything but quiet. I do wonder what they are using as a benchmark. An agent I have recently gotten a long gig with told me the software development market is slow and he doesn't see it picking up and that perm is a better option. If it was that quiet all the time then they themselves would be out of work. Or is this another underhand tactic.
            They are trying to give you a subtle hint after seeing your CV. HTH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              They are trying to give you a subtle hint after seeing your CV. HTH.
              You can do better than that!

Comment

In my 5 years of contracting, I don't think I've ever heard an agent say the market was anything but quiet. .
                In 30 years of contracting I never heard an agent saying anything but "it's really picking up at the moment - we've got loads of requirements coming in". Most agents I have come across only deal with contracts. Other people in their organisations do permie - the two don't cross over. So there's no incentive to persuade you into a perm role. Maybe you are dealing with too small agencies?
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

It may not matter to you but then again, you didn't ask the question.

I, on the other hand, did ask. I asked because I'm on a break and enjoying it. The only nagging doubt I have about this break is having to explain to agents that I'm a contractor who took a break between gigs to upskill/recharge batteries.

If the OP told me their breaks don't concern them as they've never disadvantaged them before then that's an opinion I might value.
                  Have multiple several-month long breaks in my contracting (6y) career. I contract part time out of choice. Never had a problem getting back into it and getting the next gig. In my opinion a good cv (solid project deliveries, well known clients) speaks far louder to most agents and clients than the months away from work.

Of the agents that do want to put me forward for roles, I'd say only about 1 in 10 even query the breaks beyond "ah, where were you travelling, how was it?". and the minority among that who have a problem with it (only 2 or 3 times ever), I decline to go ahead with. Not the sort of people I want to be working with anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
                    Have multiple several-month long breaks in my contracting (6y) career. I contract part time out of choice. Never had a problem getting back into it and getting the next gig. In my opinion a good cv (solid project deliveries, well known clients) speaks far louder to most agents and clients than the months away from work.

Of the agents that do want to put me forward for roles, I'd say only about 1 in 10 even query the breaks beyond "ah, where were you travelling, how was it?". and the minority among that who have a problem with it (only 2 or 3 times ever), I decline to go ahead with. Not the sort of people I want to be working with anyway.
                    This and this.

Had plenty of long breaks over 14 years, the longest around a year, it has never made any difference.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

HSBC offshores dozens of IT jobs :: Contractor UK
                      No IT contractor skills scarce, finds REC :: Contractor UK

Comment

Working...
                      X