• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on the bench since July and I had the most calls/jobs come up in the last few weeks in July since then its been pretty dead to the point where I have had hardly any calls. In the past even when there has not been not many jobs around I have still had lots of 'waste of time' calls from agencies and I am not even getting them, my phones hardly ringing. It picked up a bit recently and a few more calls but not as many as normal.

Comment

Not good at all. Some interviews so far. 5-10 relevant candidates per contract. :-(

Few times interview cancelled, because the client found somebody "good enough".

Few times candidate for contract agreed to accept position as perm.

Few times budget not agreed after contractor was sourced.

If you see agent doing "shortlisting" - run. After 1-2 days, other agents will bombard that position with CVs and you'll be be 15th in a queue for interview.

Rates still ~350 and 3 months rolling is standard in my area.

Comment

UK spending grew strongly post-Brexit vote, ONS data shows - BBC News

Booming out there.

Apparently.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          Perm is no better a lot of those are too scared to jump ship & contract so stay to keep the mortgage going = less opportunity all round & companies prefer EU IT workers @ 30-50% less pay than us pesky UK citizens! and willing to do lots of unpaid additional hours!!
          That's some right tulip. Most large companies have pay-bands that vary like 10%, so it's not even possible to have people working for 30-50% less. All the non-Brits in IT that i know, are getting paid more or less the same as the Brits, so please cut the brexiteer crap.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            That's some right tulip. Most large companies have pay-bands that vary like 10%, so it's not even possible to have people working for 30-50% less. All the non-Brits in IT that i know, are getting paid more or less the same as the Brits, so please cut the brexiteer crap.
            Yes, that's my experience. The EU citizens in this country get paid the same as the UK citizens. This is why I was a remainer - I would much rather EU citizens came to the UK and earned UK wages rather than staying in their home country, working much cheaper and undercutting us. Another way in which Brexit has screwed us I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Yes, that's my experience. The EU citizens in this country get paid the same as the UK citizens. This is why I was a remainer - I would much rather EU citizens came to the UK and earned UK wages rather than staying in their home country, working much cheaper and undercutting us. Another way in which Brexit has screwed us I'm afraid.
              If we're outside the EU, there will clearly be barriers to that operating model in the future. Up to Gideon to make the most of it as part of his "Northern Powerhouse" project, championing the M62 corridor as London's back office hub, a bit like the Americans use Raleigh and other cheaper cities for theirs.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Just as well, you would really be well and truly fecked, as there is no work in that there skill, brother
                Have always wondered why C# market is and has been so cr@p for so long, it was supposed to be the Windoze answer to Java, and the Java contract market is looking pretty healthy and has been for a long time. Can't use the excuse of Bob and there are plenty of them on the Java side as well. Is it just that C# never really took off and not many places are into it (as opposed to Java)?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Have always wondered why C# market is and has been so cr@p for so long, it was supposed to be the Windoze answer to Java, and the Java contract market is looking pretty healthy and has been for a long time. Can't use the excuse of Bob and there are plenty of them on the Java side as well. Is it just that C# never really took off and not many places are into it (as opposed to Java)?
                  C# did really take off and loads of places are into it. Many more so than Java which was looking dead for a while. I guess those that use it are not hiring right now. A lot of corporates use it - maybe they're outsourcing abroad more now?

Edit: Actually thinking about it I think there was a big glut of C# devs along the way. Possibly the demand is still there, but supply is outweighing it.
                  Last edited by pauldee; 30 September 2016, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                    ..more so than Java, which was looking dead for a while.
                    Never in my experience.

My Company Bank Account has been thanking James Gosling for twenty years or so now.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      Have you seen this new entry? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37380696

IMHO the article is happier reading for permanent job seekers and start ups.
                      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 1 October 2016, 08:46. Reason: Wrong article referred

Comment

Working...
                      X