• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Market was fine until about 2 months ago, then it all hit a cliff. Now it seems like 2008 all over again. Hardly anything except a few terrilbe contracts on awful pay, blowing around the job boards like discarded cigarette ends. Tumbleweed time.

    An agent friend of a friend says is the referendum affect.

    Comment


      Originally posted by unixman View Post
      Market was fine until about 2 months ago, then it all hit a cliff. Now it seems like 2008 all over again. Hardly anything except a few terrilbe contracts on awful pay, blowing around the job boards like discarded cigarette ends. Tumbleweed time.

      An agent friend of a friend says is the referendum affect.
      There was an article in yesterday's Times saying that businesses were holding off making hiring decisions until after the referendum.

      Comment


        Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
        There was an article in yesterday's Times saying that businesses were holding off making hiring decisions until after the referendum.
        got boomed yesterday. there are still jobs, had 2 offers and took one

        Comment


          Another couple of weeks and all those leads I had over the past month will go live again... with every crisis comes great opportunity...

          Comment


            Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
            There was an article in yesterday's Times saying that businesses were holding off making hiring decisions until after the referendum.
            Erm......
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Yeah I agree 20K + high paying jobs going in London is going to stuff the market for sure. If we Leave EU I think its going to lead to a gold rush IT contracts wise. I want us to leave & if we do (I think we will) its going to create a lot of IT contract opportunities. If we stay it will create fewer job opportunities & more intense competition for fewer roles. So Leave EU to me is a Win Win scenario we can adopt a fairer Work Visa system & more IT work will be created to implement the outside EU changes.

              Australia would have already long ago cancelled any Work Visa's for foreign IT workers (they have done this before several times) as they look after their own first & foremost!
              This is provably nonsense. These occupations are still on the shortage list and people are being invited to come in every year (as of 2016). That 'Ceiling Value' is the number of people they have determined they need this year, by occupation.

              From: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skil


              Description Ceiling Value

              ICT Business and Systems Analysts 1536
              Software and Applications Programmers 5364​
              Computer Network Professionals 1986

              Comment


                Seeing a lot of Java and Android roles. Most C# gigs are "Front end" development which isn't my forte, and even though I know the front end technologies well enough would bore me titless.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Erm......
                  OK Mr NLad - I presume it's the word 'hiring' you're having a problem with? Well, that's what the article said, as it was a general news article, so they didn't refer to contractors specifically. I expect it also extends to engaging contractors, although I suppose you could posit a theory that if they're not taking on employees then they are more likely to take on contractors. I can't say I've seen this in my area, it looks more like businesses are waiting it out.

                  Glad to hear that it's happy days for some though. I'm kind of enjoying the excuse not to work ATM and have a decent warchest but if it extends into Autumn it could get alarming. Had a call about a fantastic contract today but it requires colocation/networking tech knowledge which I don't have, despite the agent being keen to put me forward.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                    OK Mr NLad - I presume it's the word 'hiring' you're having a problem with? Well, that's what the article said, as it was a general news article, so they didn't refer to contractors specifically. I expect it also extends to engaging contractors, although I suppose you could posit a theory that if they're not taking on employees then they are more likely to take on contractors. I can't say I've seen this in my area, it looks more like businesses are waiting it out.
                    The fact you are linking contractor trends with employment trends which you do again in the post above was really what the 'Erm' was for. If it's a general article about employment then you cannot assume it means contractors at all for many many reasons. They are just too different. Even if there is a headcount freeze on/VR and so on contractors still come and go as the business case for the projects get passed so the client stumps up the money.

                    Don't assume any article regarding employment has anything to do with what will happen to contracting.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      The fact you are linking contractor trends with employment trends which you do again in the post above was really what the 'Erm' was for. If it's a general article about employment then you cannot assume it means contractors at all for many many reasons. They are just too different. Even if there is a headcount freeze on/VR and so on contractors still come and go as the business case for the projects get passed so the client stumps up the money.

                      Don't assume any article regarding employment has anything to do with what will happen to contracting.
                      Fair goes. I have been a contractor for 10 years though, and I did see a similar slowdown before the last election. If you're a BA you work at the start of projects, unless it's Agile, so if businesses are holding off project initiation to see what will happen then that would affect me. And in my experience they do seem to hold off investing in new systems in times of uncertainty. It's probably different for Dev roles.

                      Weirdly enough, I just had another call about a great-sounding contract, although we do need to finesse the rate a bit . Nothing for a fortnight then two calls today. Not rubbish jobs either but projects I'd be very interested in. Hopefully something will come of it, but not taking the aforementioned wooden nickel.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X