• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is your CV PDF or word?"

Collapse

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Nope, quite the opposite - I went through a phase of PDF, but noticed a distinct downturn in proactive contact. Switched back to Word and I started getting calls again - no doubt due to issues with their crap systems
    There are online services, and software, that create designed CVs and output them in a bastard PDF format that is entirely unreadable to ATS's and unsearchable. They also tend to crash Acrobat. Word CVs are a much safer bet if you want to be found.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Word doc but I have a PDF versions because some stupid web portals that companies have do not accept word docs.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    I heard somewhere that a 3 slide powerpoint was a new fangled thing for Cv's!

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    i leave mine on microfilm at a pre-arranged drop

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    I convey my CV through the medium of interpretive dance. But special requests can also see it being sent in Word.

Never been asked for PDF.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    pdf used by default but I have it in word if recruiters ask for it

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I just submitted mine as rtf format. I think this just the recruiter.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Nope, quite the opposite - I went through a phase of PDF, but noticed a distinct downturn in proactive contact. Switched back to Word and I started getting calls again - no doubt due to issues with their crap systems

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Never heard of anyone asking for PDF. I've heard of agents asking for word only because they can copy and past in to their format.
    Translation: and remove the bit with your phone number and email address

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Never heard of anyone asking for PDF. I've heard of agents asking for word only because they can copy and past in to their format.
    You can copy and paste well from PDFs these days.

The reason is that Word documents work much better with applicant tracking systems. There are systems that create CVs as nicely designed PDFs, but the code in them is extremely complex and unparseable by the ATS, so they become invisible to the system. Some even crash Preview on Macs and make Acrobat go extremely slow.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have seen some 'creative' layouts so I guess that's where the formatting goes awry, leading to a requirement for a PDF format

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    I provide in PDF to avoid Word formatting aggro, but agents submitting the CV for a role more often than not ask for a Word version.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    When I used to recruit people in a previous role, I always preferred pdf CVs to Word because often the Word ones would show on my screen formatted weirdly or in a way that clearly wasn't intended by the sender ultimately making it a pain in the arse to decipher, especially when you had a lot of CVs to go through. Not all word CVs, but a significant enough proportion that I distinctly remember it. Never had these issues with PDFs.

That could be a reason perhaps?
    ​​​​​​
    For me personally, I store my CV in word format. When I need to send it, I make any necessary tweaks, save it as a pdf and then and send it across.

Leave a comment:

• davetza
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You can easily convert word into PDF yourself.
    It is also very easy to convert PDF into Word. Especially for a document that was created in Word in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You can easily convert word into PDF yourself.
    I don't think the issue is whether it's easy. The issue is why would anyone stipulate such a constraint?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X