• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

Tuesday.

Cool in here at 19.1 deg, 20.5 deg in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto, 14.8 deg in the saltinghouse.

1024 mBar, 30.238 in Hg, 768.1 Torr, 14.852 psi, (up from 1023 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 63% RH (Lidl electric).

Stuff in the WM including some smalls.

Meanwhile on the 11th of June 2019 Xogg was further investigating family trees whilst my new neighbours were having traumas (undefined) & the idea it was A Fecking Bad Idea to sell them the house was becoming confirmed.

Stuff, including some smalls, out of the WM & pegged out on the line. I wonder if that puffer jacket will survive.

Sheets in the WM. Mattress airing. Must remember to reassemble bed before bedtime to avoid shock & awe.

Entertainment: thing at 09:45 about disease, death, destruction & similar jollities.

Sheets out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

More stuff in the WM including the oven gloves and some gardening stuff.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, a yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Stuff from the WM pegged out on the line.

And finally: the woolly jumpers in the WM on "woollens", which, strangely, takes twice as long as "economy".

Jumpers on the line despite the interweb saying it's a bad idea.

5 lawns mown including next door's which hadn't been done for 3 weeks. Knackered now. Needed a shower since got quite hot & bothered. Mad dogs & Welsh persons mow lawns in the mid day sun (GMT).

I dread to think what the two front lawns will mow like after No Mow May, especially the one infested with clover.

Bed made. Even the fitted sheet cooperated. Which made a change.

Tea: battered cod (or maybe haddock), the remainder of the apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.54 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S12 E18: Honda S2000: bought: £3k, total: £4380, sold (to the guy they bought it off): £7k. Replacement steering rack, new discs and pads, polished the headlamp lenses, replaced the lambda sensor (the old one was covered in soot), tarted up the rocker cover, fixed the go faster 2nd cam control thingie, refurbed the wheels, changed the gear knob, changed the radio so it worked with the wheel controls. Currently SORN, MOT ran out Oct 22, failed April 23.

Digging for Britain with that Alice Roberts with pink hair.

The Human Jungle (maybe).

Maigret War of Nerves 1996. S5 E4: we seem to have leapt over S4 E4 et seq to end up with this one. I wonder why.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 May 2023, 19:06.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bright, sunny, and warm. As it has been all weekend.

Disposition less so.

Season 2 of "Hunters" is as good as the first and I would heartly recommend it.

Back to square one RE car shopping. I walked away from one deal where they dropped the "retailer contribution" without warning. I can't be doing with this sort of thing even if I quite like the car. Bugger them.

Off to sit in the garden for a bit with a cup of tea.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Bright, sunny, and warm. As it has been all weekend.

Disposition less so.

Season 2 of "Hunters" is as good as the first and I would heartly recommend it.

Back to square one RE car shopping. I walked away from one deal where they dropped the "retailer contribution" without warning. I can't be doing with this sort of thing even if I quite like the car. Bugger them.

Off to sit in the garden for a bit with a cup of tea.
        Probably old news that you already know.

But if buying new look at Carwow, DrivetheDeal and Broadspeed to see what price a broker is selling the car for?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          But if buying new look at Carwow, DrivetheDeal and Broadspeed to see what price a broker is selling the car for?
          Top tips. Greatly appreciated.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Lunch: chicken and barley soup with a bit of wholemeal

Comment

Afternoon all

Sunny with fluffy lumps. Quite a breeze about. Currently 18 degrees and that's the high for the day. Barometer up a snatch to 1028 mBar.

The day started off with a major incident. Once again, someone upstream tinkers with data feeds, breaks stuff and then I get complaints about reports being rubbish. The messenger is always the one to get shot.

We only have a go-live first thing in the morning, we didn't want to iron the last wrinkles and validate data. No, we wanted to spend our morning validating that the fix of the broken thing is correct.

HWMBO has gone off to talk at people about TOGAF for a few days. Poor souls.

Comment

The sun came out a short time ago, but it's gone back in again

Today wasn't a very productive day for the project I'm supposed to be working on, as this morning a developer I worked with on the first ClientGov project a couple of years ago asked if I could help her track down a problem she was having. She was just trying to upgrade installed libraries for a project (which is one of the department's flagship sites, so rather important) and for no good reason this was causing one of the CI steps to fail with a stack trace that suggested the problem could be in one of about three or four different places.

So I started spelunking through these various codebases on GitHub, and suggesting various possibilities that came to mind.

We finally got it sorted out just before five

Turned out that CI step was, and had always been, misconfigured. This misconfiguration resulted in it using a different Django database backend to the one it would use in production, and as it happened, older versions of Django didn't have a problem with what it was trying to do. However, what it was trying to do wasn't even what it was supposed to be doing. Anyway, newer versions (starting from a commit in November 2021, to be precise) do have a problem, which was what we were seeing, and if it had been configured properly this problem would have been apparent to whoever set it up in the first place, four or five years ago

But the end result was that although we now know what was wrong, that CI step is going to be eliminated in favour of one that checks what it was supposed to be checking, but wasn't

So quite an enjoyable day of problem solving, all in all

Comment

Tea: corned beef hash and beans

First time I've tried making that. Turned out quite nice

Comment

I appear to have hay fever

As usual, I failed to recognise the symptoms for several hours, so I've only just taken a tablet. It isn't doing much for the headache yet, but maybe it'll help overnight

I've also realised I must have an appointment at the dentist soon, as the last time I was there was the day I bought this place and that was six months ago. I came over here, got the keys from the estate agent round on the shopping road, let myself in for a look around, then went there. I know an appointment was made, but I haven't put it in my calendar so I'll have to call them and find out when it is

But for now: raspberries and chocolate hazelnut ice cream

Comment

The car earlier was a repeat of the Honda S2000; SORN, MOT expired last October. And the gold diggers had the usual variable mid-season problems and successes.

And then Inside the Factory on the subject of Polo mints; good side quests again

And so to bed to finish off November 1666 in Sam's diary

The hay fever seems a little better now the tablet's had a chance to act a little

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X