• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Morning all

METAR EGFF 300820Z AUTO 07012KT 9999 FEW040 16/11 Q1024=

Bit breezy but pleasant enough outside.

Wordle - done
    Worldle - done
    Nerdle - done
    Heardle - Fail
    Phrazle - done
    What about Globle?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

What about Globle?
      Oh no, not another one.

Seems the same as Worldle but now I know about it it's on the list. FFS

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Oh no, not another one.

Seems the same as Worldle but now I know about it it's on the list. FFS
        It's a great one for learning countries of the world. I think it was eek that introduced us to it on here.

Edit: Not eek, but NF: https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...l-dcxxxii.html
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon all.

I'm prepping for my Lowland Leader training course on Thursday and Friday.

If I get as far as taking the assessment and the 2-day first aid course, I'll be qualified to take groups walking and get paid for it.

I'll have to see if it's worth it.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Lunch was chicken, tomato and lentil soup with wholemeal bread

Still feeling very lacklustre today. The ear doesn't really hurt any more, but it feels popped, and I can't do anything to fix it. But more generally, I'm just feeling run down

At least I found that the alleged problem with sorting some records on the API side (my code) didn't exist: the front end has been using the wrong field for display since somebody long departed from the team made a mistake in August 2020. It only affects a pretty small number of records (it depends on whether a new thing was completed on the same day it was started, which they usually are) so it's only now, when people have been looking closely at the ordering since I added the feature, that anybody's noticed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Lunch was chicken, tomato and lentil soup with wholemeal bread

Still feeling very lacklustre today. The ear doesn't really hurt any more, but it feels popped, and I can't do anything to fix it. But more generally, I'm just feeling run down

At least I found that the alleged problem with sorting some records on the API side (my code) didn't exist: the front end has been using the wrong field for display since somebody long departed from the team made a mistake in August 2020. It only affects a pretty small number of records (it depends on whether a new thing was completed on the same day it was started, which they usually are) so it's only now, when people have been looking closely at the ordering since I added the feature, that anybody's noticed
              Hope the wot'sThisEar improves quickly.

The bug reminds of the DeadFly bug in that alarm telephone where the pendant low battery alarm disappears and shows good battery state when it gets really low coz the hardware lot didn't consult the software lot when they changed the number of packets the pendant sends.

Only found that little gem (count of packets wraps around once it exceeds 255 in a byte counter: Oh Dear(tm)) a week before the place closed.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Hope the wot'sThisEar improves quickly.

The bug reminds of the DeadFly bug in that alarm telephone where the pendant low battery alarm disappears and shows good battery state when it gets really low coz the hardware lot didn't consult the software lot when they changed the number of packets the pendant sends.

Only found that little gem (count of packets wraps around once it exceeds 255 in a byte counter: Oh Dear(tm)) a week before the place closed.
                Cheers - I think the middle ear is still a bit bunged up, but the earwax situation is gradually resolving itself with judicious application of olive oil

Having sorted out that bug, I was able to continue hunting the one I'd originally set out to look for. This turned out to be due to an obscure aspect of the data model that I hadn't previously been aware of, which meant a small number of things had several related data items of a specific kind where I thought they only had one, because said items could be "archived" (i.e. a flag named "archived" was set) and then a new one attached, resulting in duplicate records being returned.

I thought this was going to be a very tricky fix, as it would have to be in something that already uses some reasonably sophisticated ORM techniques to ensure the database doesn't get hammered. But upon finally turning to the point in the code where the work would have to be done, I realised that past me had already made provision for this kind of thing Just In Case, so it was a matter of adding a single additional parameter in the data structure that drives it declaratively, and it worked!

So much for You Ain't Gonna Need It

Comment

The "smart" lightbulb I have configured to turn on fifteen minutes before sunset is lighting up very early in the evening nowadays

Comment

We are in Doha, now just 2 hours ahead of the UK.

Apparently it's 34 degrees outside. I have no intention of going outside.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      We are in Doha, now just 2 hours ahead of the UK.

Apparently it's 34 degrees outside. I have no intention of going outside.
                      It gets warmer than that here

Fully agree with the not-going-outside though

Tea has been homemade kebab-like thing with chips

Comment

Working...
                      X