• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 1978 my dad went to visit his publisher and, as usual, brought home a couple of soon-to-be-published books they'd given him. One of them was by a chap named Brian Lecomber, a pilot, called Talk Down; and it was about exactly the scenario that film was supposed to be about: a non-flyer in a light aircraft, an incapacitated pilot, and people trying to get them down safely.

I thought it was very good, but it hadn't occurred to me before that one of the things that made it good was that it devoted its content solely to getting them in the air then accurately recounting the tricky business of getting them safely down again, rather than going off on tangents about one of them getting a job in marketing about a year before they boarded the plane and so on

Lecomber doesn't appear to have a Wikipedia page, but somebody blogged about that book and a couple of others: Brian Lecomber: Three Novels. He only has an image of the paperback, but this is a photo from some bookselling site showing the cover of the hardback first edition my dad was given by Hodder & Stoughton:
    Cover of Brian Lecomber's 1978 novel "Talk Down". Two light aircraft, seen from behind, fly over an English landscape towards the sunset at an altitude of about 5,000 feet.

Attached Files
    Last edited by NickFitz; 14 August 2021, 10:46.

Comment

Making the most of all this extra time by putting some jeans in the wash. They are now draped on the clotheshorse

Comment

pork medallions with egg on top for breakfast - clearing out the fridge.

I was babysitting some imports last night so watched plenty of tv.

Guns Akimbo - great violent rubbish, Spoiler - Harry potter with guns nailed to his hands. (not much of a spoiler he spends 90% of the movie like that).

Escape from Praetoria was a good, workmanlike prison escape movie, not up there with Newman on a bike but worth a watch.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Corned beef butties (on sesame bloomer) for lunch. Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Escape from Praetoria was a good, workmanlike prison escape movie, not up there with Newman on a bike but worth a watch.
            That was a good film. Not swashbuckling action but a really good look at South Africa at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Back in 1978 my dad went to visit his publisher and, as usual, brought home a couple of soon-to-be-published books they'd given him. One of them was by a chap named Brian Lecomber, a pilot, called Talk Down; and it was about exactly the scenario that film was supposed to be about: a non-flyer in a light aircraft, an incapacitated pilot, and people trying to get them down safely.

I thought it was very good, but it hadn't occurred to me before that one of the things that made it good was that it devoted its content solely to getting them in the air then accurately recounting the tricky business of getting them safely down again, rather than going off on tangents about one of them getting a job in marketing about a year before they boarded the plane and so on

Lecomber doesn't appear to have a Wikipedia page, but somebody blogged about that book and a couple of others: Brian Lecomber: Three Novels. He only has an image of the paperback, but this is a photo from some bookselling site showing the cover of the hardback first edition my dad was given by Hodder & Stoughton:
              Cover of Brian Lecomber's 1978 novel "Talk Down". Two light aircraft, seen from behind, fly over an English landscape towards the sunset at an altitude of about 5,000 feet.

Excellent book, as are his other novels. They reside somewhere down in the garage assuming I haven't given them away.

In other aerial news, the plod are currently circling overhead for some unknown reason.

They'll never take me alive!

Fecking irritating it must be said, & how the miscreants on the plod programmes fail to notice said helo quite escapes me.

<hiatus>

They've buggered off now.

Now late:

https://www.pprune.org/where-they-no...omber-rip.html
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 August 2021, 12:19.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Off to that Canary Wharf for the afternoon / evening with a couple of friends.

Comment

Apparently they're doing the football again today.

I shall not be attending

Comment

Another GSV oddity, a five wheel car:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9895...7i16384!8i8192
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Raining now

The InstantPot™ has been brought to bear on the issue of chicken soup

Comment

Working...
                      X