• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a bit meeting-heavy today, though one of them was to bid adieu to the project manager who's been moved to another team, so that one was OK

Immediately after that, lunch was chicken and barley soup with wholemeal bread

And then immediately into another meeting, which lasted nearly two hours

A very weird thing happened in that one though. The replacement project manager (who also approves my timesheets, so a Very Important Person) is going back to Poland for a couple of weeks for a holiday with her family. (Incidentally, it amuses me how many of the people on this UK Gov project aren't actually from the UK; but I digress.) She'd brought in another project manager (also from the consultancy who are my actual client) to cover for her during that time, so she's also been sitting in on things yesterday and today.

Halfway through the long meeting, the regular project manager had to interrupt to tell us that the temporary project manager has been rejected for the (minimal) security clearance required for the job

Turns out she spent more than six consecutive months abroad within the last three years, and the security people say that she therefore needs a police check from the country she was living in before she can be approved. (This has happened before, and it's not as if it's because these people were in Libya or North Korea or something; the last time, it was because they'd been living in Japan.)

The thing is, she was supposed to be covering for two weeks, and she moved back to the UK two years and fifty weeks ago; so in two weeks, she won't need that extra check. But for the sake of those two weeks, she does; and guess how long it would take to get the check done? Two weeks!

And she's a UK citizen too.

It's a shame really as she seemed OK, but what can you do; security people gonna secure

Anyway, after that was all done and I was able to settle back to work properly, I had a sudden moment of insight about something I've been racking my brain over for a fortnight. I quickly implemented it (it was only five or six lines once I realised what to do) and created some tests (which took longer and are longer) and it works!

Comment

We've had a nice day just generally mooching about, achieving very little.

Currently in a wine bar wondering if the 200+ ml of wine being served for €4 is the real price or has the chap who only started a week ago not quite got to grips with the amount to serve.

#notComplaining

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

It's pretty grey out now, with a bit of a breeze. I felt about three raindrops at one point, but nothing came of them.

The council have cut down four trees along one of the roads I walk along

No idea why, as they weren't that big and were well pollarded. There was something recently about them having to cut down a bunch of trees in some parks to stop the spread of certain tree diseases, so maybe it's something to do with that? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that they were lifting the pavement immediately around their roots quite a bit, but the pavement's fairly wide along there and they weren't disrupting the main part of it, or not yet

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          We've had a nice day just generally mooching about, achieving very little.

Currently in a wine bar wondering if the 200+ ml of wine being served for €4 is the real price or has the chap who only started a week ago not quite got to grips with the amount to serve.

#notComplaining

Comment

Rain's finally arrived, though I think it's stopped again now. But it'll be back

Comment

You know its going well when one of the old hands points out its 4pm and no one has resigned. Last few weeks has been a sinking ship!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Uber Eats has failed to deliver a takeaway from a restaurant we couldn't get into this evening by parking up two streets away and claiming to be at the right location.

I am very annoyed. HWMBO is dealing with it after I screenshotted all the info.

Comment

Tonight's viewing has been Forensics: the Real CSI on iPlayer, to wit, Stabbed In The Park about the murder of a young lad in Coventry; and then a bit of the next episode, Murder At The Party. Not very cheerful stuff, but interesting

Time for bed now, as I want to make a reasonably early start tomorrow on tidying up the thing I got working this afternoon, along with its tests; there was a lot of experimentation going on before I finally had the flash of insight that sorted everything out, so loads of lines of code to delete

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Dark.

Dank.

Damp.

Dreary.

Sunless.

White sky.

Cooler at 19.6 deg in here.

1004 mBar, 29.65 in Hg, 67% RH.

Wednesday.

Bonfire ashes added to the compost heap.

Walk walked.

Unabbreviated though not quite the walk I was walking last month.

Wanly sunny.

Very close.

Having arisen at an ungodly hour, now wondering why I'm hungry & it's not yet lunchtime.

That's what comes of dreaming of Tasmania.

Feck nose why, since I've never been to, nor wished to visit, Tasmania.

I ordered a beer in a bar then realised I didn't have any Oz money to pay for it.

Then I woke up.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed crust toast, blackcurrant jam sandwich on same, a red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Bored Now.

I think I'll run the vac over to relieve the endless existential ennui of it all.

Stone me, my eyes really are getting worse.

I think I need some new , not reading but using the computer type

Freecell score: 92%, running average 84% (83.997%).

Entertainment: The Repair Shop x2, the barograph was inneresting.

Nice piece of kit.

And the roll down an incline plane clock.

That watch & clock chap does a fine job.

More brambles & ivy massacred.

More gooseberries picked.

Tea: carrot & coriander soup, the last of the tinned pears, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Donald Sutherland on Sky Arts.

Dr Pimplepopper: Ronan's giant cyst on his leg, the one with the kidney dish full of "porridge".

Thing about skool shooters on BBC4.

It's not a bundle of laughs.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 July 2021, 21:53.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

It was a grey start earlier but it's brightened up a bit and there are a fair few gaps in the cloud; currently 16°C with a target of 20°, 999/1007mB on the barometers, so up a little. But rain is predicted any time from lunchtime on, with increasing likelihood through the afternoon

Comment

Working...
                      X