• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh, today's other excitement has been fixing a car key

Century

Comment

A new episode of Trucking Hell today!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        A new episode of Trucking Hell today!

The flat bed truck stuck on a bollard was near Kensington Olympia! Somewhere I recognised at long last

Comment

Tea was the usual bits of the Big Chicken, reheated, with chips and tomato sauce; lovely stuff

Just as I finished, the Sainsbury's driver phoned. I was about to rush downstairs, but he explained that he thought he might have just accidentally sent me a text saying he'd be late (he hadn't) but in reality he'd be here in ten minutes or so. Twenty minutes later he pulled into the side road, dithered in the usual way they have here, then finally trundled the shopping to the front door

When grabbing everything, I suspected that one of the bottles of beer might have been leaking or something, as there was a bit of a smell of ale and some dampness in the bottom of the crate; they were very badly packed and fell over as he was lifting the crate off his trolley. But no caps were obviously loose, so I carted everything upstairs. Ranging the bottles on the side and leaving them for a few minutes, it became apparent that the cap of a bottle of McEwan's Champion was indeed very slightly loose; a bead of foam formed where it was gradually escaping at the loosened part of the rim.

So as it won't last, the only thing to do is drink it now. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Oh, today's other excitement has been fixing a car key

I've got two identical keys for the Toyota, and the buttons long since fell out of both of them, so I have to poke at the microswitches through the buttonholes. But when I've just trimmed my nails, I often have trouble reaching them - especially the Lock button. This happened last week at Sainsbury's, and in the end I had to use another key to poke at it.

Then, when I got home, I found that although it had worked, this had caused the top of the microswitch to fall off so the car couldn't be locked remotely with it; I had to lock it using the keyhole, like an animal, then come in and get the other key to lock it properly

So I had a look on Amazon, and it turns out there are many replacement kits available for c. 2001 Toyota keys, depending on which parts you need. I ordered one to be going on with which arrived today.

So the still fully-functional key now has new buttons, and unlike the originals these are connected on a very thin rubber mat, so it's almost impossible for them to fall out

There's also a couple of replacement microswitches in the kit. I've never tried soldering something as tiny as a microswitch, but the other key is useless with that one broken, so I'll give it a go at some point as I like to know I've got a spare key. If I mess it up, no great loss. But I'll watch/read a few more tutorials first and maybe find something to practise on, once I've got around to buying a soldering iron with a very fine tip
            You will need something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P2WY1...5-4f9082e80f65
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dinner was tuna steaks and asparagus with falafel (yep emptying the fridge).

ents criminal minds - yep easy.

Voted.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Yes, I'd thought about that, though I could really do without cluttering the place up with yet more stuff. I've got a friend who does hardware things so, once it's finally possible to mingle, I'll see if he's got any kit I can borrow suitable for the task at hand. It's not urgent now the other key is equipped with proper buttons again

Comment

Tonight's viewing was a bit more Police Interceptors whilst dining

Then after dealing with the Sainsbury's order, and finding myself having to have a beer as a result thereof, I accompanied it with S1E2 of B5, Soul Hunter (TV Episode 1994)

Get through tomorrow and it's the weekend! Only a two-day one this time, but I suppose it's better than nowt

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start, though the traditional clouding over is expected after lunch; currently 3°C but aiming for 13°, and the barometer is on its way up at 1004/1011mB

Quite a decent night's sleep, I think, though I awoke fairly early, probably due to the sun getting up

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Bright.

Sunny.

Cold. 15.2 deg in here.

1015 mBar, 29.97 in Hg, 54% RH.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM & into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the intermittent sunshine.

Feels a bit warmer out there today.

Smalls out of the TD.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

'Tis all go around here.

<hiatus>

Shirts out of the TD.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly sandwich x 2 on same, yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Cottons out of the WM & into the TD.

Shirts roughly iRoned.

Entertainment: "Discovering Peter "I have taken Akaba" O'Toole" on Sky Arts.

Bit of Engineering Disasters S2 E something or other.

Final shirt iRoned.

Cottons out of the TD & airing on the banisters.

"Trucking Hell" S2 E5. No sign of Rory.

Tea: Tesco breaded haddock cod, the last of the tinned mango slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment "Discovering Joan Fontaine", mildly inneresting, she didn't live as long as her sister, only made 96.

The remainder of the commentary on "Episode VI: Return".

Feck me, I must be completist coz this is tedious enough to make your eyes bleed.

Why did it seem so much better 37 years ago?

It really is the weakest and most tedious of the original trilogy.

Lucas has definitely sucked all the life out of it with his "revisions".
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 May 2021, 20:36.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X