• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Today's Kantar dairy fact is:
    2nd Lieutenant William Rhodes-Moorhouse becomes the first airman to win the Victoria Cross 1915

I feel "win" is the wrong word here. I think "receive" would be better. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that one goes into battle thinking it's a competition for who can get the best medal at the end.
    Yes, "win" is totally wrong. "First airman to be awarded…" would, I think, be appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Morning denizens

Bit of a cloudy start, though not frosty: currently 6°C heading for 13°, barometer down slightly at 1015/1022mB

From tomorrow to a week on Wednesday here, that being as far ahead as the prognostication goes
      Ah, my prognosticator ended on the Sunday.

I'll see what it says for next Monday: Wet.

Monday.

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

Cooler at 16.4 deg in here.

Polleny.

1022 mBar, 30.18 in Hg, 54% RH.

Monday.

Telex machine fairly clean.

Slept like a log, woke at 08:10 not knowing what day it was and it took a good five minutes before I was sure, though the Today programme being broadcast from an aircraft carrier might have added to the confusion.

Very odd dream before waking which probably didn't help.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the bright sunshine with a plethora of chem trails in the bright blue yonder.

We await the consequences with some passing innerest.

<hiatus>

Seems not too bad currently.

I'm sure this new implementation is leaving out characters I've typed.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, bramble jelly sandwich x2 on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Entertainment: Engineering Disasters: Milwaukee water supply kills 100 people due to cryptosporidium and ill maintained sand filters, Texas A&M bonfire collapse kills 12 students (I'd have kill more of mine), the faults of the Sherman tank (never knew it had an aero engine), Denver airport luggage massacre, courtesy of our very own BAE systems.

(Or more accurately Boeing Airport Equipment Automated Systems Incorporated).

After a mere 10 years development it works very well. That hubris is a real bitch.

Or apparently not according to other sources.

In fact, according to the other sources it was so successful they ripped it all out.

Fairfax County tower collapse: don't take the supports away too soon when pouring concrete on the 24th floor.

WTC Tower 7 collapse: cue the conspiracy theorists.

Oh, jolly good: Love Canal or how to build houses on a chemical dump.

Cocoanut Grove nightclub, Boston: 492 nightclub fire.

Ariane 5 rocket failure: stuffing 64 bits into a 16 bit int won't go.

Patriot missile software problem: clocks? who needs 'em?

Providence Rhode Island building implosion debacle.

Failed not just once, but twice.

It just sat down.

Twice.

It ended up like the leaning tower of Pisa and had to be knocked down with a wrecking ball.

<hiatus>

Freecell score: 100% (of 8), running average 84% (83.80).

Trucking Hell S1 E6 wherein Rory is hassled by the highways chap before he's got the halfshaft out.

Tea: more of the roast chicken with bacon & sausage, some tinned fruit salad, a yog (or two), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Early tea was a ham and cheese omlette with chips. I overcooked the omelette, sadly, so it wasn't as tasty as it ought to be.
      Zen chury Om.

Entertainment: "Victoria and Abdul (2017)" which was very funny in parts & sad in others.

Nice chap, that Bertie.

NCIS S16 E14 "Once upon a Tim".
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 April 2021, 22:13.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

From what I understood it's not so much putting out as cooling it down to stop thermal runaway.

Scary, innit.

In other queries, WTF is NODE 0?
        Its the cupboard where the cables go to die (or be terminated) Mine is in the downstairs cupboard and looks a little like this but far less tidy.
        Houses

1. Switches, Routers etc.
        2. my RF distribution including analogue CCTV broadcast.
        3. CCTV
        4. Various HA gateways.
        5. Amplifiers
        6. Fire connect (telephone gateway)
        7. power for things like doorbells.

https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/cont...o-gallery.html
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes, "win" is totally wrong. "First airman to be awarded…" would, I think, be appropriate
          +1 winning is for the Olympics, medals are for bravery
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The gasman cometh at about 1pm

Comment

Totally different era, nowadays each trades' visit would be at least a month apart.

Comment

The gasman goeth, having got the water heater working again

It seems the pilot light had blown out and the sparking thingy to relight it was too dusty to produce a spark. Cleaned it all up a bit, and it's OK again

Though the landlord/manager chap came with him and went on and on about the central heating malarkey. But I got the impression he's mainly annoyed with the outfit that's supposed to be installing it, for being too lazy to want to deal with a moderately complicated job

Comment

Short walk around the block via a post box, the beauty salon (booked in for a pedicure) and the Italian deli (to pick up a toasty for lunch).

Warm in the sun, less so in the shade. Currently 10/11 degrees.

Comment

Extension confirmed until mid-May

They want to extend longer, but they need ClientGov to agree budgets and stuff. However, as my contract ends on Friday, they also didn't want to lose me, so they've gone with the hassle of sorting out this extension and then probably sorting out another, longer one this time next week

Comment

Extension confirmed until mid-May

They want to extend longer, but they need ClientGov to agree budgets and stuff. However, as my contract ends on Friday, they also didn't want to lose me, so they've gone with the hassle of sorting out this extension and then probably sorting out another, longer one this time next week

Comment

Working...
                      X