• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch was chicken and barley soup with the usual wholemeal bread. Very nice batch, this one

And after much in the cause of new forum software, a quick walk up the road to the renowned local motor spares shop, where I got a new battery for the Toyota at about half the price it would have cost at Halfords

That also caused the watch to credit me with ten minutes of exercise. I need to start a long-running task soon, so I might go for a walk during that to make up the rest of the time, and do some trundling while I'm about it

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      No, I was quoting an anaesthetist and the response they received from a senior figure in a health authority when asked that question.

Efficient use of resource: you have the most qualified person in a room, who knows exactly what to do, they do it.

Less efficient use of resource: you have the most qualified person in a room, who knows exactly what to do, they have to go track down three charity workers who have to don their PPE, grab their bags, go to where the patient is, and attempt to remember their training to do the job of the guy in the room who knows exactly what to do and has spent years doing it.
      In the meantime, if another patient is in trouble following an injection, then another group of StJA need to go through the same procedure. How many teams of StJA need to be on site on any given day, with all their PPE, etc, for the risk of multiple adverse reactions?
      You know we have a shortage of Doctors & Nurses already in the NHS where are these extra highly trained medical staff going to come from? Most efficient use of resources is not tying up experts doing simple jobs, delegate, delegate, delegate!

Sneering at St John & the Red cross is all very well but its them that are providing first aid at most events not your anaesthetist. As to how many maybe we should let the experts in this sort of logistics i.e. the Army or disaster responders (like the red Cross / sickle/UN) figure that sort of thing out not the NHS who mix up the infected patients with non infected because they want bed occupancy figures to look good. Something they have been doing for years with MRSA etc.

My expectation is that we would have a structure similar to a hospital with custom simple equipment and barriers to reduce risks.

1. Police, military staff and volunteers / trained security = reception (please wait over there , yes you have a blue ticket line B please) & security in case people get ansty. These can be behind screens with an intercom.
      2. People (not medically trained to direct people through the maze hopefully mostly automated and remote with help points= Porters.
      3. A doctor and a number of nurses administering vaccine, the doctor is mainly there to supervise, mix if needed and support. If you have any sense you isolate them from the patients using a screen with a covered slit that is disinfected, each nurse has a separate inoculation room to isolate patients from each other and nurses from each other. These will be in the inoculation rooms (you can use spoke / hub) and a way from the recovery room.
      4. more porters / signs moving people to recovery down various corridors covered by CCTV.
      5. Trained observers e.g. St John / Red Cross possibly supported by maybe a paramedic (a real expert in preserving life) and ultimately the on site doctor(s) or supporting hospital. The volunteers spot the issue amongst the hundreds in in recovery, investigate & escalate quickly. These will be in each of the many recovery bubbles.
      6. More porters directing people to cars.

so a team of ~ 40 people for a small site and ~4 NHS medical staff needed. Scale up as needed.

Of course with this new fangled technology thing we could fit cameras in various areas and have central highly trained staff monitor the recovery areas as well. Maybe make it available to the supervising doctor, vaccine developers and security lead? Hey you could even pipe it into the the anaesthetist's private practice or golf club, maybe even stream to his phone.

If you ask the Army nicely they will probably greet all the workers with a personal PPE pack every morning and make the tea/refreshments.
      Don't ask the RAF they have mechanics & batmen for that, the Navy will probably try to shag the PPE bundles.

Hint if you give blood not all the people walking around telling you what to do are actually consultants. There is probably only one or two registered medical people there.

I had my flu Jab the other day and the nurse had to greet me, verify my identity, they sat me down to inject me and then she had to walk back outside and direct me out while fetching the next victim. Each patient took about 10-15 minutes. If there had been a greeter or two guiding me (even based remotely) she could easily have worked 3 times faster and in a doorway with a nearly full screen add a slit for the arm and we reduce the air transfer.

The NHS has been giving flu jabs for years but hasn't done anything to improve the efficiency of the process.
      Last edited by vetran; 3 December 2020, 17:27.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I can tell you why, though.
        As part of the MVP, the options were to choose somewhere with good transport links, or somewhere that had good storage facilities nearby.
        Epsom Downs does not have good public transport links, neither are the roads around it particularly great. But the decision became more clear-cut on Tuesday morning.
        Epsom Downs is on one of my routes to Gatwick Airport depending on the time of day and I worked there years ago. Loads of taxi drivers know where it is and unlike the other nearby racecourses has less traffic issues on the roads.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Shorter-than-usual walk duly and briskly walked, green ring closed

Bit drizzly out there from time to time

No biting wind though, so it felt comparatively mild even though it's supposedly 4°C.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Epsom Downs is on one of my routes to Gatwick Airport depending on the time of day and I worked there years ago. Loads of taxi drivers know where it is and unlike the other nearby racecourses has less traffic issues on the roads.
            Not sure about poor public transport links there aren't many villages served by 2 train lines connecting to major London stations. That is why Epsom is so popular for commuters.

Yes because a train every 30 minutes to London Victoria is a bit rubbish. We could of course run a vaccination bus back & forth for those who didn't fancy the 1/2 mile walk from Epsom Downs station. This has a few spare platforms not in use so an injection express is a real possibility then passengers don't have to mix with regular commuters just form a bubble with co workers and take your allocated carriage.

There is of course Tattenham corner to London bridge again trains every 30 minutes, fall out of the station and order a beer at the race course bar.

Yes the roads aren't fantastic I mean it only has Jct 9 on the M25 a few miles away. I used to work round there and we have family living near. If they wanted they could make the smaller roads a clearway temporarily or add a park and ride near the motorway
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's been dark, damp and bloomin' miserable all day.

To add insult to injury, I've only just finished work.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Taxis know it, but it's not particularly close to a regular train station - sure there's a half hourly one to London Bridge - but that's it.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The weather forecast talks of a 30% chance of snow from three in the morning, building to 70% by sunrise, and on to 90% by lunchtime

Comment

I needed to use up some potatoes so made potato wedges for tea and accompanied them with Heinz Five Beanz and a dippy fried egg.

Comment

Ents has been The Repair Shop and MasterChef.

Comment

Working...
                      X