• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. I’ve exhausted The Dog (tw) with over 14km of walking today.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A rewatch of something I haven't seen since I don't know when, but probably the 1980s and possibly even the 1970s, was first on tonight's schedule: A Fistful of Dollars (1964), in which cowboy stuff happens. It's very good

I've always thought it's quite interesting how Westerns were such a huge thing in popular entertainment, then suddenly vanished completely in the mid-1970s. AFAIK there's no evidence that audiences stopped liking them, just that movie and TV executives decided not to make them any more because they assumed that audiences no longer wanted them; but on the rare occasions they were made after that, they always seemed to be successful

And to follow, a rewatch of Everest (2015), which inspired me to want to climb the eponymous mountain, then reminded me why that would be a really bad idea

Back in, I think, 1982, my brother persuaded me to come along with him and some of his friends from Oxford to the Lake District for Easter. On Easter Saturday we all set out to climb Scafell Pike, and it was ******* horrible. I hated every second of it, and eventually me and one of his friends refused to go any further, then sheltered behind a rock for sodding ages while the others went to the top as hailstorms kept sweeping past us. Then we all took a wrong turn on the way down, and got lost, and in the end me and the friend just slid on our arses down a load of scree to the valley while my brother and his other friend went the long way back and then round the right way. Once we were down in the valley, the friend went back to be sure they found the way, while I went onwards to the pub with instructions to call Mountain Rescue if they weren't all back within two hours. In the pub I found a pint of Old Peculier on hand pump, a hot meat and potato pie, and a folk band tuning up before launching into loads of rousing tunes. Then the rest of the party arrived, all safe and sound; but I figured we could have avoided no end of bulltulip by just going for the pints, pies and music in the first place. The next day we were supposed to climb Helvellyn, but the friend and I refused point blank to go. I spent much of the day in a bookshop in Ambleside, which is much more my kind of thing

So I doubt I'll be climbing Everest any time soon, as it seems like an awful lot of effort and risk for no good reason

And finally The Sopranos S5E2 Rat Pack (TV Episode 2004) and S5E3 Where's Johnny? (TV Episode 2004). Junior's gradual decline is one of the most poignant subplots of the series; oh, spoiler alert BTW

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all if all there be

Dry (as in not currently raining).

Colder at 16.1 deg in here.

Misty/foggy: can't see the other side of the valley, there's tidy then.

Sunless. Don't think it's up yet.

1025 mBar and 66% RH.

Sunday.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 November 2020, 08:45.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bells on Sunday... Even the robins were still asleep.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Morning all

Not properly up yet so full weather report will be done once I've seen what the barometer is up to.

Having coffee in bed at the moment, brought me by you-know-who

Comment

Morning.

It's grey outside and there was frost on the cars when I woke up at 7am.

However doesn't feel cold outside due to the cloud cover and decrease in wind. High of 11 degrees and overnight low of 5.

Going to pop out to an M&S food hall in a bit as I booked a slot for when it opens.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all.

Bike ride cut short this morning on account of not being able to feel my toes after 4 hours, still took another hour to get home on top of that.

Weather forecast was a lot warmer than it turned out to be (Forecast 10 degC, actual 2degC) and it was dry so I didn't bother with overshoes. Mistake.

Now thawing out again at home with hot coffee and some of the uneaten flapjack things I took with me on the ride.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 22 November 2020, 11:25.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Walk walked. The hill is heaving with what must be very large families, unless they are groups of people who don’t care about who they infect.

Comment

Bed has been stripped and the first load is in the WM. Dropped a pillow case Good job there's the duvet and the mattress covers yet to be done so my routine isn't too badly messed up.

Need to hoover throughout the flat as the floor is filthy. A flick around with a duster wouldn't hurt either.

HWMBO is rustling up brunch. He wanted to make a French omelette with a side of creamy mustard mushrooms and kidneys. Not so fussed about the latter but he can finish them off if I decide not to have them.

We are planning to drive over to Gerry's later to pick up lots and lots of booze for cocktails. Sodding congestion charge now applies on the weekend which does nothing to help anyone. I bet that won't get reverted ever.

Weather wise, overcast but dry with some wan sun poking through every now and then. It's 11 degrees, the high for the day. Barometer steady at 1024 mBar.

Comment

Working...
                      X