• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's movie mayhem has been RED (2010) - IMDb, which I watched a few years ago but which has recently been upgraded to 4K. It's pretty good fun in an explosive sort of way; based on a comic book graphic novel, I believe

Early night now due to Zooming with New Zealand at 8:30 tomorrow morning

Goodnight all

Comment

Bells on Sunday. Tewkesbury...
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Morning.

Dry (as in not currently raining).

Slight breeze (as in the non existent rain isn't horizontal).

What looks like a blue sky but might be a high cloud.

Warmish at 16.2 deg in here.

978 mBar, 28.88 inHg, 58% RH.

Sunday.

<hiatus>

Walk walked under blue skies in glorious sunshine.

Chilly but calm.

Lots of tree branches on the road.

Actually had a conversation with someone.

<hiatus>

Garage is soaking wet, as wet as an otter's pocket.

Tin shed is remarkably dry considering.

Apart from a bit of ingress that'll get fixed when I get some tanking slurry.

The tanking slurry should fix the garage walls too.

Next door's shed roof covered with a tarp needs attention, said tarp having come loose in places.

A batten or two should see that rectified.

In other news it's rained.

Lunch: chicken breast, cumberland sausage, streaky bacon, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Would have helped if I hadn't indulged in Quality Street before hand.

<hiatus>

The tarp on the shed next door which has been up there for not very long is well on the way to being useless.

However in a no doubt vain attempt to prolong its dubious usefulness I've battened down the hatches tarp the way I should have done originally.

I used the battens removed from my roof last month.

Considering the layers of felt and tinplate in that roof I can't see how the feck it can leak in the first place but there you go.

At least the battens will hold it down for the next gale.

Lovely afternoon, sunny with blue sky until 3 minutes after I finished whereupon the sky clouded over and the weather returned to normal.

Once I've showered it'll be nearly time for tea.

In other news, the barometer continues to fall, reaching 975 mBar currently.

973 mBar on the barometer.

Tea: Heinz leek & potato soup with Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, Morrisons mince pie, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Rage at Dawn (1955)" with Old Stone Face himself.

Amusing enough, though it would have been nice if the tape hadn't had a head clog.

The usual anachronisms about using the 1873 Single Action Army revolver in 1866, though this one also had the anachronism of the three phase power line in 1866.

Now: Some nonsense about UFOs on Blaze.

Next: TBD. Some nonsense about Area 51 on Blaze.

Covering the U2 now.

And following the U2: Oxcart.

Then: The Oak Island nutjobs.

Turns out the experts reckon the giant boulders from last week's excavation in the swamp were placed there rather than glacial deposit or what have you.

The coffer dam in Smith's cove has to be removed according to their permit of work, so the amount of equipment needed so to do is going to put an end to the excavation in the highlands above the cove.

And whilst the coffer dam is removed, they must prevent silt from entering the ocean.

Next: one of the brothers rides the excavator bucket into the hole to have a close up look at what's down there.

This seems less than wise to me.

An unsupported unpropped excavation: what could possibly go wrong?

They find More Wood.

Now we're on to Actual Archeology using trowels, brushes and test pits at the McGuiness house.

They've got photographs of the buildings as they were before they were demolished.

Now results of laser ablation on last week's chunk of lead: it's got mercury and tin in it.

And off we go to Sir Francis Bacon.

Lead is indicated to come from Greece.

Cue the Knights that say Nii!

Meanwhile on lot 21: a trap door.

And a bone handled knife.

Back at the uplands: down the hole: more wood, axe cut wood.

Here we go, he's going down the hole.

And he comes back up again.

Next day: dig a bit deeper: hits something at the bottom.

They're sending a camera down on the excavator bucket.

This hole is about to cave in.

There's a hole in the side of the hole, is it a tunnel?

Oh, there's a chap down there with an Apple ][.

Reviewing the video from down the hole: could be a tunnel in the side of the hole, probably original, possibly the flood tunnel.

It sort of lines up with the U shaped structure and the money pit.

And the sheet piling is removed, reflooding Smiths's cove.

Next week: the Even Bigger Feck Off 8 foot diameter can.

And anomalies galore.

Addendum: forgot to mention the thing about Rockfield Studios on BBC2: "Rockfield the studio on the farm".

Featured Hawkwind (Dave Brock & Lemmy), Led Zepp, and Queen.

Once they'd got through that lot & on to the 90s I didn't know any of them, other than that foul mouthed mother****er from Oasis, a band I cannot stand.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 December 2020, 19:58.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all.

Damp out from that overnight rain and howling wind which kept me awake at various parts of the night. I recall seeing 4.20 am. Anyhoo, it's not currently raining and the ground is drying up, and it seems quite bright with what appears to be thin cloud doing its overcasting thing. It's 7 degrees (feels like 4) and that's as good as it'll get. A sunshine and showers forecast. Barometer is down to 997 mBar.

No idea what to do with myself today. I ought to go outside at some point.

Today's Kantar diary fact:
          The 'Abbey Theatre' opens its doors to the public, Dublin 1904

Comment

Enjoy your exercise (given that your only excuses for going outside is essential shopping and exercise).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Beef "Dino" dry rub ribs in the oven at 07h50 105°C. Aiming for internal temp 95°C at about 13h00-14h00.

Aligot and green beans might make an accompaniment.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Morning denizens

Antipodean Zoom call done

Sunny out now the storm has passed, but with a lot of puddles about; the wind, though it was strong, doesn't seem to have done any damage in the immediate vicinity

Currently 4°C and not expected to improve noticeably. The barometer is at 963mB actual, 971 mB adjusted, so still very low.

I'm trying to work up some enthusiasm for the notion of driving down to M&S (or even walking to the one in town) in the hope they're still flogging off surplus pigs in blankets cheap, but I'm not sure I can be bothered; I could have done with an extra hour or two of sleep TBH

Comment

Morning all

Wind has abated, and the storm seems to have passed too. Really should have put less sprouts in last nights bubble and squeak.

Big news is that the outdoor Xmas tree made it through the night intact. Still being blown about a bit in the remaining breeze but it looks to have survived unscathed.

Coffee consumed, now pondering whether to brave the cold and wind and ride out doors or to stick to the turbo trainer.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Good news - I finally got infraction points! Maybe I am not that old...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      "Hey Google, who can I get to Google something for me?"

I just looked up recursive on google. And it no longer says "did you mean recursive".

Comment

Working...
                      X