• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    One of the good things about working remotely and communicating with the other devs mainly by text chat is that they ask "Any idea how to do x?" and you can quickly Google or look it up in the docs and post the answer, and they think you just know all this stuff

After all, if they thought it could be found with a ten-second search, or had thought to have twenty browser tabs open covering all the key areas of the docs, they would have just looked it up themselves
    It’s remarkable how much a bit of googlefu can improve your reputation.

I sailed at a permie job for years because early on I instantly fixed an end clients issue with a Perl package - client had spent months trying to work out why it failed I just remembered that Sun hated gcc compiled code so you had to build the package from source and not just download it
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

One of the good things about working remotely and communicating with the other devs mainly by text chat is that they ask "Any idea how to do x?" and you can quickly Google or look it up in the docs and post the answer, and they think you just know all this stuff

After all, if they thought it could be found with a ten-second search, or had thought to have twenty browser tabs open covering all the key areas of the docs, they would have just looked it up themselves
      That kind of google-fu is what they pay you the (hopefully) big bucks for

Comment

Lovely meet up in Bushy Park done. It was chilly in the breeze when the sun went in but really quite hot when the breeze stopped and the sun came out. HWMBO's sandwiches were delicious.

It'll be a shame to go back to work on Monday.

Comment

Right, that's enough silly nonsense important government work for one week! I suppose I ought to go for a walk or something

Comment

Meh. After starting work at 6am (5am your time) and finishing 12 hours later, with my usual 3 hour lunchbreak , managed to completely fsk my eclipse installation. Easily fixed. back to where I was about 2pm - ready for Monday.

Dinner, courtesy of youngest daughter (pharmaceutical engineer student) is turkey soup and hot dogs. She thought she'd cooked everything but I pointed out there were no fried onions. So she's cooking them now while my wife and I sneakily finish the salt and vinegar crisps....
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That kind of google-fu is what they pay you the (hopefully) big bucks for
              Yes, knowing what to Google for and being able to spot likely contenders in the search result snippets will get you a long way in life

And the bucks are certainly adequate

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Meh. After starting work at 6am (5am your time) and finishing 12 hours later, with my usual 3 hour lunchbreak , managed to completely fsk my eclipse installation. Easily fixed. back to where I was about 2pm - ready for Monday.

Dinner, courtesy of youngest daughter (pharmaceutical engineer student) is turkey soup and hot dogs. She thought she'd cooked everything but I pointed out there were no fried onions. So she's cooking them now while my wife and I sneakily finish the salt and vinegar crisps....

Ents tonight. No idea. Won't someone feed Phil springs to mind for some reason.
                At the Cambridgeshire gig the other year, I announced I was going to use PyCharm. The lead guy asked if it was better than Eclipse. So I took out my MacBook Air, opened my Applications folder, and pointed to several items: "Eclipse", "Eclipse ****ed", "Eclipse ****ed again"

I might try a bit of that Amazon Prime stuff tonight

Comment

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

I got rained on slightly, but it was only a passing shower

Comment

I've stripped the bed and left it to air so I can have nice clean sheets tonight, assuming I remember to make it again. No way this will end badly

Comment

Working...
                      X