• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car's home

Need to repair my bank balance now

Having a small bowl of soup, just to try it out before divvying it up for the freezer. Seems tasty enough

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Advance warning that there'll be some forum downtime this evening. Shouldn't be more than an hour or so, I think; I hope not anyway, as it should only take longer if something goes terribly wrong

And once it's done and assuming all goes well, everything will have moved back to forums.contractoruk.com. I have no idea why, but the powers behind the throne have ordained it thus
      Because nothing ever goes horribly wrong with changes made last thing on a Friday
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Seems a bit silly to have an online status update and then still have to wait for a summons.

Surely the status shouldn't be set to complete until the car is ready to collect?
        I assume the chap in charge of the inspections does the needful on the computer (thereby causing the online service to show the test status), then moves on to the next one. Meanwhile, the details of all work done are handed off to someone else (usually his wife, in this case) who makes up the final bill, and ensures all the paperwork (bill, fail certificate, pass certificate) is ready for the customer. Then the customer is called to tell them.

And it looks like they gave it a wash, which was presumably the additional half hour, and which wouldn't matter for most of their customers except I only live about ten minutes' walk away

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

If they had thought this through at all - they could have saved you a pile of work.

You could have written a fancy mod rewrite command running on contractoruk.com/forums and used that to redirect all the old page urls into whatever new fangled format Vbulletin now uses.
          Could have done, but then thread URLs and post URLs would all be part of the same series. I didn't like that, and my sentiments prevailed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Could have done, but then thread URLs and post URLs would all be part of the same series. I didn't like that, and my sentiments prevailed
            Also, the old ID/node ID mapping was pretty trivial. Most of the outstanding problems lie elsewhere, often in the excessive use of JavaScript for no real benefit

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Because nothing ever goes horribly wrong with changes made last thing on a Friday
              Especially if they're urgent, critical and the developer goes from the office to the airport to catch a long haul flight.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Despite my best attempts to fail miserably at working out how to do what needs to be done, I didn't. So we'll be gone for a while shortly - just waiting for admin to grab himself a beer in preparation for some intensive sysadmin work at his end, while I check again my script that does huge things to the database. See you in a bit!

Comment

And we're back, now with emoji ?

Comment

? all looking good this end. Feels like 2005 all over again ?

Comment

Looks like Virgin Media is taking their time propagating out the DNS change

Anyway, once the forum work was done, dinner was chicken madras with rice and naan, and very nice too

Then I needed to make up the rest of the walking time as the garage whence I collected the car isn't that far away, so an amble round the block sorted out the green ring.

And now I need to portion and put away that Scotch broth.

And then I can relax

Comment

Working...
                      X