• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In last evening's reading of Max Hasting's "The Secret War" I read a reference to some Swedish chap called Arne Beurling who cracked the German teleprinter code in 1940.

Google Translate

Dunno if ^^^ will work but anyway.

During the Second World War, in the summer of 1940, Beurling succeeded with his perhaps greatest achievement: breaking the German crypto machine G-printer . [ 9 ]

This effort succeeded Beurling in two weeks with the help of pen and paper and only one day's collected messages.

Germany during the World War lent Swedish telecommunications lines for teleprinter traffic to its troops in Norway and the Swedish military used this for interception and managed to collect several hundred thousand messages for several years.

Through Beurling's efforts, they were able to produce their own crypto machines with the same function, which helped the Swedish government gain advance knowledge of many important events during the war, including Operation Barbarossa , Germany's attack on the Soviet Union .

His collected writings (mathematical essays) were published posthumously in 1989.
    Well there's a thing.

And no one knows how he did it.

Codebreakers: Arne Beurling and the Swedish Crypto Program during World War II

Looking back at Sweden'''s super-code-cracker | WIRED
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2020, 10:25.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Just been queuing in the road to get some cream from the shop.

The local vicar was in the queue - but dropping off left over Lindt easter bunnies from the church, so he was his usual friendly and polite self - no idea how he remembers my name, he only sees me at births/deaths and the village fete.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Just been queuing in the road to get some cream from the shop.

The local vicar was in the queue - but dropping off left over Lindt easter bunnies from the church, so he was his usual friendly and polite self - no idea how he remembers my name, he only sees me at births/deaths and the village fete.
        'cos the whole village knows you as 'jones the rifle'?

Comment

Don't forget everyone

Trundle Day
          Married

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            In the M&S Food Hall queue
            Thirty-five minutes or more queuing, ten minutes or less spending. Onwards to Sainsbury’s!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Thirty-five minutes or more queuing, ten minutes or less spending. Onwards to Sainsbury’s!
              About forty people/ sets of people ahead of me. Maybe a third as many as two weeks ago, and moving quickly at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGarbs View Post
                Don't forget everyone

Trundle Day
                no it isn't

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  no it isn't
                  Oh yes it is!

Comment

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with a hint of Basil my little piranha fish ( won't be buying that again and there's at least one other can of it in the cupboard) with multiple slices of Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread (slightly stale but it was 22p per loaf), bramble jelly sandwich on same, fruit corner thing, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Everything tasted a bit odd, I blame the basil.

Currently reading (since "Legacy of Ashes: the history of the CIA" was finished yesterday) is "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson, being the story of his stagger along the Appalachian Mountain Trail from Georgia to Maine.

Rather him than me.

And if there's bears, where was his mountain gun?

629 Mountain Gun Review: Cylinder & Slide Modifies a S&W Classic

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2020, 11:35.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch is guinea fowl tagine with orzo pasta. A combo likely to have purists wailing.

Comment

Working...
                      X