• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirts in the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

Getting greyer and greyer here.

Grey sky.

Grey people.

All grey.

Still reading "The Mitrokhin Archive".

Depressed to find there's another volume.

I'll give that one a miss.

<hiatus>

Raining.

Smalls in off the line.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 April 2020, 10:36.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Don't forget this week's Viz!
      Sole purpose of visit

Well, not quite. In the end it took about thirty minutes to get in. Better stocked than last week, but still minimal quantities in the pasta aisle. I refuse to believe that there are any British people who like pasta that much

But I managed to get one of the last few packets of wholewheat spaghetti, which was all I wanted

I also managed to get a Big Chicken with a long lead time (next Friday is its day of reckoning) so, assuming I manage to create enough space in the freezer, I can make more zingy chicken and lentil soup

By the way, there were plenty of lentils on the shelves, but I got those last week.

Other stuff was mainly OK, including wines and beers which were pretty much back to normal stock levels, though not after I’d been through there

They had normal flour but not bread flour; I only know this because some hapless middle-aged man with a list was asking for it, and looking like he wasn’t keen on bearing the bad news home to his wife. There must still be a run on flour, as they’d blocked off that part of the aisle with trolleys to keep shoppers at bay while they restocked what they did have and were telling people to back off for a few minutes

Anyway, I already have as much flour as I need for anything I use flour for; I was only in that aisle for ingredients for a cherry and almond cake, specifically cherries and almonds, which they had plenty of

People were mainly pretty good at the social distancing thing, particularly younger people (i.e. below their forties). The absolute worst were older people who’d blagged their way in as a couple, against the one-person-per-household rule, having presumably claimed neither of them could cope on their own, but who as soon as they were in started roaming far and wide independently, shoving in next to other people to plunder the shelves. Bunch of gits, and if they end up on a ventilator it’ll serve them right for being such self-centred greedy bastards

And so home, where after twenty minutes or so of Freezer Jenga I finally managed to get everything in there that needs to be in there, including the lamb stew

Now to decide what to have for lunch. Something out of the full-to-bursting freezer would be sensible

Comment

Shirts out of the TD & "ironed".

Smalls out of the TD & "airing". as if.

Cottons still in the WM, out in 45 minutes.

Lunch: the last of Sunday's roast beef in a Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt sandwich, bramble jelly sandwich on same, bramble jelly sandwich on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, yogurt, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

'Is this the real reason my little baby died?' | UK news | The Guardian

I worked next door to that place for 7 months back in 2001/2002.

I still glow in the dark.

What sparked this was a discussion with an ex colleague about the difference in the radioiodine treatment her mum had and that given to my mum.

Her mum was closeted in the hospital in isolation for 3 days.

My mum came home in the car with me.

IIRC my sis & her kids were here at the time.

BBC NEWS | Health | Fears over nuclear pollutant cancer risk

Don't eat the three eyed Cardiff fish!

Gets betterer and betterer:

https://www.cefas.co.uk/publications...ardiff2003.pdf
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 April 2020, 12:28.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Ooh cherry and almond cake! What a delightful idea. I have all the ingredients and a recipe.

I was going to go to M&S as I am on my last pistachio and almond cookie and I like their rye sourdough loaf. Sadly, I have a headache (again) and just don't feel up to it. I must also stop googling symptoms as I've now diagnosed myself with pulsatile tinnitus which has lots of worrying causes as well as the mundane ones I've ignored.

Comment

Neverending stories: five of the best very long films

Neverending stories: five of the best very long films | Film | The Guardian

I see the 1972 version of Solaris gets a mention...
            Once Upon a Time in America is “included with Prime” at the moment. I’ve had it sitting on my watchlist, but every time I’m looking for something to watch on there I think “Ooh, how about that” and then see the running time and decide it’s too late to start watching it

Comment

Ooh cherry and almond cake! What a delightful idea. I have all the ingredients and a recipe.
              My recipe is one my Mum has been baking for years. I made it for the first time a bit over a year ago and it turned out really well, so I’m looking forward to making another one

I was going to go to M&S as I am on my last pistachio and almond cookie and I like their rye sourdough loaf. Sadly, I have a headache (again) and just don't feel up to it. I must also stop googling symptoms as I've now diagnosed myself with pulsatile tinnitus which has lots of worrying causes as well as the mundane ones I've ignored.
              Like Jerome K. Jerome in the first chapter of Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch—hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book, and read all I came to read; and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves, and began to indolently study diseases, generally. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into—some fearful, devastating scourge, I know—and, before I had glanced half down the list of “premonitory symptoms,” it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

I sat for awhile, frozen with horror; and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever—read the symptoms—discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it—wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus’s Dance—found, as I expected, that I had that too,—began to get interested in my case, and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically—read up ague, and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright’s disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid’s knee.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Once Upon a Time in America is “included with Prime” at the moment. I’ve had it sitting on my watchlist, but every time I’m looking for something to watch on there I think “Ooh, how about that” and then see the running time and decide it’s too late to start watching it
                never saw the 4 hour version, the cut version is a classic.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

exWAGS
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I see BR14 has managed to get himself banned again
                    AtW and Scootysnot seem unbannable. NAT's biased modding is painful.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Business Project Manager messages me earlier: Have you seen the cutover plan
                      Me: Yes
                      Her: Did you see the email from one of the business users sent yesterday
                      Me: Yes
                      Her: His email is different to the cutover plan
                      Me: It is
                      Her: **Starts to copy and paste his email
                      Me: Were you planning on just pasting his whole email into this message?
                      Her: Well yes, I need to know why his email is so different
                      Me: Have you asked him?
                      Her: No, because the plan is different to what he says, I need you to tell me why he is wrong
                      Me: He's not. You summarised 6 steps into 2. You also said that it would take 15 minutes when it's about 2 hours
                      Her: So why is it not right in the project plan?
                      Me: I'd want to ask the project manager that I don't know.

...10 mins later an email comes out from her, scheduling a meeting to discuss changing the project plan. The timing of the meeting clashes with tasks in the actual cutover.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X