• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch has been smoked mackerel <sainsbury's - reduced>
    in a wholemeal seedy bun, with hot horseradish and black pepper.

mmmmmmmmm.

oh, and 800ml of earl grey tea.

Comment

Light lunch of some little bits of chicken in slightly garlicky breadcrumbs with a bag of plain crisps

Rain is falling steadily. Apparently there's some pretty serious flooding going on out in the county, including a couple of miles from the Pukka Pie factory; that's not affected yet as far as I know. I would expect the emergency services to make protection of such a hallowed place a priority.

And really, the people who chose to live on Brook Street should have considered the origins of the name rather than complaining that the brook has now occupied the eponymous street

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        And really, the people who chose to live on Brook Street should have considered the origins of the name rather than complaining that the brook has now occupied the eponymous street
        The lower end of this road was named Brook Place for fairly obvious reasons.

If you look at Olde Maps, said brook made its way down from the Gnoll, crossed the road (presumably in a culvert), then made its way to the ditch beside the canal, flowed along that for 100m, then went through a big feck off culvert under the canal and into the river.

At some time or other, in a fit of enthusiasm, it got diverted and piped under the canal by a shorter route under someone's garden.

But this forgotten history explains why the canal company wanted the ditch to be piped when the back lane was built from the demolished courts from The Green in Neath.

So far, said brook has proved far less problematic than the one at the other end of the road that flooded the gardens of the entire road when the oiks blocked said big feck off culvert with a combination of mattresses and tree trunks back in 1991.

In other news, lunch was poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons Ancient Grain toast.

It was nice enough.

Followed by 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

In other other news, the assembled congregation will be unsurprised that it's pissing down with a vengeance, though intermittently.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 October 2019, 11:57.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

In other other news, the assembled congregation will be unsurprised that it's pissing down with a vengeance, though intermittently.
          Very similar, here in sodden sarf herts.
          cats, dogs, stair rods, son et lumier, etc

and the lumier knocked my wifi out for a bit just then.

AND i have to go out now

Comment

Rain's coming and going here; more coming than going, though

Comment

Consultant has been consulted and will operate either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning - just waiting for confirmation of which.
              He’s also impressed with my chest and will take the stitches out of it when I’m in.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I thought coming down to London for the week I might get away from the torrential rain in Manchester but no luck. Pissing it down. 15 minute walk to the training center as well. Grim down here as well as oop North.
                I just have to think about tarby on his water taxi on the choppy Thames to cheer me up.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh what fun it is.

New telly in the bedroom.

Doesn't get used much.

Was tuned in to Freeview about 3 months ago.

Install new aerial cable to said telly.

Turn it on to test: No Signal.

Go downstairs, switch on other telly & switch to Freeview: No Signal.

Switch on 3rd telly & set top box: No Signal.

Have hissy fit since next door had a new aerial installed last week: Is the new aerial sucking out the signal to my aerial (they're in line).

Faff about swearing mightily.

Get spectrum analyser out to check signal: looks as if there's sommat there, what the feck?

After much potching about like a headless chicken, start going up through the channels on the oldest box & voila! signals appear on Really & all those sort of things.

Light bulb moment: retune the fecker & see what happens: what happens is it finds 144 channels of tulip on the tv to choose from.

Retune other tv: 144 channels of tulip on the tv to choose from.

Retune 3rd tv in bedroom: 144 channels of tulip on the tv to choose from.

I'm getting too old for this crap.

I was going to run a cable through the loft to the satellite dish in the box room but I think I'll leave that until tomorrow or I'll end up falling through the fecking ceiling or something similar.

Sun's out.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Consultant has been consulted and will operate either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning - just waiting for confirmation of which.
                  He’s also impressed with my chest and will take the stitches out of it when I’m in.

<hiatus>

It's raining now but the sun's still out.

Ah.

It's taking the gloves off & doing a proper job.

Oh good, it's stopped, I can go & get stuff out of the freezer without getting wet.

Which is satisfying.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 October 2019, 16:32.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Apparently there was some thundery stuff but no-one in the office noticed. I did look out the window at some point and noticed much rain falling. On leaving the office, the ground looked damp but no real sign of torrents.

Dodged the wet stuff quite nicely so far. #famouslastwords just have a 5 min walk home.

Comment

Oh! And are we all looking forward to Storm Lorenzo turning up later this week?

Comment

Working...
                      X