• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    First session of the afternoon done, covering such topics as shipping containers, stuff from house clearances at Deptford market, and the smell of laundry
    For the laundry session, there was an experiment in which fifty (new) socks were distributed and passed around the audience (400 people, give or take). The black ones had been sprayed on the toes with one specific artificial musk used as a component of laundry detergents, and the white ones with a different such chemical. Turned out that about a third of the audience couldn't smell the chemical on the black ones, and about a third (including me) couldn't smell the one on the white, leaving about a third who could smell both. And that's why making laundry smell "nice" (according to whatever our society has construed that to mean) is a lot more complicated than you might think

Comment

There is one of them (same but different) in old broad street.

And one the same In Walbrook, scroll down the page on the link.

London’s – Historic “Police-Call Posts” - London Shoes

Comment

Well, that lamb was well worth the wait IIDSSM.

with a nice merlot.

watching 'psychedelic brittania' - i'd almost forgotten the incredible string band.

Comment

To the Chinese for dinner, as usual, which was exceedingly nice, as usual

I was damn hungry too, not having eaten anything since the Premier Inn breakfast

I assume the Chinese was experiencing a steady flow of orders, as no random speculations as to why they weren't were offered.

Meanwhile, the chip shop up that way that's been closed for what must be two or three years has reopened under new management again

They'll have a long way to go to beat the fish from the place I've been going to, but even if they don't manage it, as long as the chips are OK they'll be handy for such things as Pukka pie and chips when I can't be bothered to cook

Comment

Tonight's first film was Sunshine (2007), in which some people are travelling to the Sun to stick a huge bomb in it, because it's dying and they need to restart it. It was directed by Danny Boyle.

I tried to like it. I really did. It has great visuals, and the actors do a great job. But it's a steaming pile of crap

I finally gave up fairly near the end, when I decided that you really can't have a major sequence in your story depend upon the fact that to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, then completely ignore that fact a bit later because a different major sequence wouldn't otherwise work. Science fiction that can do ten impossible things before breakfast is fine, but it has to be internally consistent or it's just bollocks. And this film was just bollocks

In fact, my mind felt so polluted by this shameful episode in the history of the kinematograph that I needed a really sound film to cleanse it; hence a rewatch of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974). Great stuff, perfectly paced and with an ending to die for

And then a couple of episodes of S2 of B5, though I should probably have crashed out: Points of Departure and Revelations. I get the impression that Old Race of Shadows could prove to be a bit pesky in the future…

Goodnight all

Comment

Comment

Morning all After another >12 hour day working yesterday, today the users are let on the system. I need to be there 9am-?? Then start the night shift at 10pm-8am. The joy of taking a 24 hour operation live.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Tonight's first film was Sunshine (2007), in which some people are travelling to the Sun to stick a huge bomb in it, because it's dying and they need to restart it. It was directed by Danny Boyle.

I tried to like it. I really did. It has great visuals, and the actors do a great job. But it's a steaming pile of crap

I finally gave up fairly near the end, when I decided that you really can't have a major sequence in your story depend upon the fact that to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, then completely ignore that fact a bit later because a different major sequence wouldn't otherwise work. Science fiction that can do ten impossible things before breakfast is fine, but it has to be internally consistent or it's just bollocks. And this film was just bollocks

In fact, my mind felt so polluted by this shameful episode in the history of the kinematograph that I needed a really sound film to cleanse it; hence a rewatch of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974). Great stuff, perfectly paced and with an ending to die for

And then a couple of episodes of S2 of B5, though I should probably have crashed out: Points of Departure and Revelations. I get the impression that Old Race of Shadows could prove to be a bit pesky in the future…

Goodnight all
                  Always avoided "Sunshine" for that very reason. It's not worth 25p much less 33p so it says where ever it is.

Pelham, on the other hand, is A Good Film and a review of same may (possibly, depending on date of viewing) be found above.

The remake with Mr Washington is pretty good too in an updated sort of way.

Troublemakers those Shadows, though the opposition aren't that much better.

They ought to just Bugger Off and all would be well.

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cold.

Polleny, very.

Dear Deity, I'm getting fed up with hayfever from February to, presumably, fecking August.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

peed the bed again?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

peed the bed again?
                      Embarrassing innit?

FB finds the most unlikely "people you may know" in places I wouldn't touch with a fecking bargepole.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 May 2019, 08:53.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X