• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's cold & windy enough for a Bank Holiday.

Surely there's rain pecilled in as well.

Having to bite tongue to avoid lashing out at the idle new neighbour.

It's getting very difficult to do.

Lunch/lunch was a Ginsters cornish pasty, with Heinz baked bean on Morrisons thick cut sunflower seeded toast, with a side order of Morrisons individual pork pies with pickle & cheese (reduced) with added sweet chilli stuff on top.

Yum.

Living the dream.

And if the stuff I just took out of the freezer is what I think it is, rather than ratatouille, then spag bol with a hint of chilli is on the cards for tea/dinner this evening.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Good morning session at Boring IX, with topics such as ketchup, the effect of homosexuality on extreme weather events, the Greenwich Time Signal (aka the pips), postcards of Battersea Park (and some general history of postcards, such as when the half-back bearing both message and address was introduced), and cardboard box sturdiness certification. And then a film a chap made by walking a ley line from near Parliament to Hampstead Heath, stopping every minute to video whatever was on the ground for five seconds

Comment

Comment

First session of the afternoon done, covering such topics as shipping containers, stuff from house clearances at Deptford market, and the smell of laundry

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Good morning session at Boring IX, with topics such as ketchup,

Abomination

Comment

Oh, and police call posts, as seen on the cover of the Ladybird book “The Policeman” (until the 1970s) and not to be confused with call boxes like the Tardis

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Abomination

That was the premise of the talk

Comment

Oh, and police call posts, as seen on the cover of the Ladybird book “The Policeman” (until the 1970s) and not to be confused with call boxes like the Tardis
                  There was one of those up the hill from me back in the 50s.

Sort of pillar with a box 4 feet up with a phone in it and a blue light on the top.

The nearest I can find is this:

Bluecopbox.com - View Images

except that's Septic and thusly not quite right.

I've yet to find an image of the thing I remember.

In other news, the lawn of the idle bastard next door has been mown*.

I'm now very tempted to take that £220 petrol mower back since it's pretty fecking obvious it's never going to be used.

*Not easy because it was allowed to get far too long.

I've also cut the two hedges.

My martyr complex is doing well at the moment.

No matter how hard you try,you can never knock that 3rd nail in.

In other news, by dint of standing on the desk, I've reached yet another maths book that I'll never ever need again.

It cost £4 in 1972.

And, it must be said, is absolute crap.

It's a "programmed text" which means that it's all out of order, you do one bit, then hop off to page 103, do that bit, and go back to page 56.

Fecking idiotic.

I'm interested to see that I've obviously previously disposed of the totally crap field theory tome that used CGS units.

Why the feck anyone was still recommending the use of that in 1972 is beyond me.

Then I remember that they were talking about the Imperial unit known as the slug at about the same time.

And in other other other news, the hayfever is playing up a bit.

Mowing lawns is never a really good idea.

Ho hum.

<interstitial pause>

Tea/dnner was some chili spag bol I found in the freezer, dated 26/03/18.

It was nice enough.

This evening's first epic in the unbearable heat of the sunshine is "Mad City (1997)" with Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta.

Mad City (1997) - IMDb

Which was ok in its way, with Travolta playing a gentleman with fewer than the usual number of marbles.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 May 2019, 19:12.

Comment

Home!

The final session of the conference included a game of Jenga played by two members of the audience while James Ward (whose conference it is) gave a rambling and not wholly relevant running commentary; a survey of toilet graffiti (Gents and Ladies) in 100 pubs across London; the origins of various blue pigments; and miniature books.

That was the premise of the talk
                    As you can see from his opening slide:

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    There was one of those up the hill from me back in the 50s.

Sort of pillar with a box 4 feet up with a phone in it and a blue light on the top.

The nearest I can find is this:

Bluecopbox.com - View Images

except that's Septic and thusly not quite right.

I've yet to find an image of the thing I remember.
                    They're these:

There's some more info about them on the site of a company involved in their restoration in London: RESTORATION OF EIGHT POLICE CALL POSTS – rupertharris

Comment

They're these:

There's some more info about them on the site of a company involved in their restoration in London: RESTORATION OF EIGHT POLICE CALL POSTS – rupertharris
                      Yes I found plenty of images of those, what I can't find is an image of the one I remember.

Or maybe it was all a dream, like.

This evening's 2nd feature is "Angel Heart (1987)" with Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro.

Angel Heart (1987) - IMDb

Though how much of Mr De Niro is in it is yet to be determined.

Mickey Rourke is not someone I'd look out for in a film.

<hiatus>

It was ok if you like that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, despite it being confusing, I'd figured out the McGuffin about 10 minutes in.

Ho hum.

Relatively unpleasant in an unpleasant sort of way.

Mr De Niro's role amounted to about 20 minutes or so.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 May 2019, 21:29.

Comment

Working...
                      X