• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Blood Diamond (2006) in which African people die so that wealthy people can be conned out of their money for glittery stones that are really quite common but are withheld from sale by cartels to drive their price up. As you might have gathered, it's a film intended to convey a message, but it's pretty good

And then a rewatch of I, Tonya (2017) which, as I've probably said before, is much funnier than you might expect a film about ice skating rivalry to be

Finally, a rewatch of Darkest Hour (2017) about Churchill's early days as PM. They don't worry too much about historical accuracy in this one, happily throwing in scenes that clearly never happened at all, but it's a movie not a documentary, and it's entertaining so who cares

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      This is the lady who worked at the really good chip shop up the road from my old place: French national living in Leicester for 42 years faces deportation - BBC News
      Apparently this is now rectified after the Beeb booted the Home Orifice in the nuts.

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Wet.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.6 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

990 mBar, 29.234 in Hg, 742.56 Torr, 14.358 psi, (down from 1000 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 71% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of August NF was recovered enough to spend half the night watching Armageddon and Daylight, while a little later here it was the usual CGS (clear grey sky at a guess), whereas WTFH came out with the expostulation "Cyclists", whereas LM had a rattling laptop fan and I cooked a lamb's stuffed heart and a portion of a leg. It seems a long time since I cooked anything like that. .

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the strong wind and wan sunshine, with blue sky in parts.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: 12:30 comedy thing It wasn't the news quiz.

Logged most of the branches from the apple tree. Neighbour came along with a new battery chainsaw & logged the rest. Quite impressed with that thing, though it needed multiple batteries.

Couldn't be arsed to cook the next batch of bol/chilli.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: Doctor Who. WTF was that? Stone me.

Maigret S3 E9 1962 "The crooked castle". The jewel robbery one with the chap & his "sister" and the stolen car and the dead body in the garage.

Book.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 December 2023, 22:19.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Cloudy out but the rain has just stopped, supposedly for the rest of the day. Breezy though, judging by the gesticulations and shimmying of the various trees. Currently 12°C and only going down from there, while the barometers are down yet more at 975/983mB

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Apparently this is now rectified after the Beeb booted the Home Orifice in the nuts.
          Yes, they seemed to sort it out very quickly once it was in the news

Comment

Couple of inneresting things for your Monday links thing Fizzy Knickers. Non DM versions on Google if, unlike Vetran, you're DMophobic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ng-turned.html
            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rrassment.html
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Tea has been kebab and chips

Unfortunately, on the way back I tripped over a loose paving slab on a dark stretch of pavement and fell full-length. So I now have multiple plasters on the cuts and grazes on my right hand, my glasses are bent, I have a sort of gouge just by my eye where they were pushed into my face as my right cheek smacked into the pavement, and I have a sort of headache because it smacked pretty hard, dazing me for a few seconds

Other than that, it was nice

Comment

The usual crop of wildlife stuff was on in the afternoon and early evening, including Monkey Life

And in the evening, I took to my bed early to nurse my various injuries and finished reading The Battle of the Beams

With luck, a decent night's sleep will start me on the road to recovery

Goodnight all

Comment

^^^ get weller soon.

Morning.

Sunday.

Wet. Wet. Wet. with more Wet.

Grey.

Sunless.

Dark, very.

Dank.

Dreary.

Chilly in here at 12.3 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

996 mBar, 29.411 in Hg, 747.1 Torr, 14.445 psi, (down from 1002 last night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of August 2019 NF was enjoying a sausage dinner despite his recent overnight stay away.

The morning's dream saw me being pursued by nefarious agents, flying a helicopter at one point despite this not being in my collection of skills. Glad to wake up again despite the difficulties of going to sleep last night.

Lunch: baked spud etc. Living the dream.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the windy wind and grey gloom.

Freecell score: 93%, running average: 86% (85.89%).

Next batches of bol and chilli duly cooked.

Tea: spag bol etc. the bol being pretty meh all in all. Actually used proper garlic this time to see if it's better than the garlic powder that refuses to exit the jar.

During the cooking I found a "grain of rice" residing in the frying pan, which I thought a bit odd: turned out to be a maggot, with several more in other pans.

I wouldn't have thought there was anything to eat but I suppose they might have consumed the grease on the outside of the pans.

There was nothing at all on the frying pan since it was clean.

Opened the oven door to find a spider looking at me.

I suppose it'll be another cleaning frenzy tomorrow. Ho hum.

Entertainment: The Directors: Fred Zinnemann.

Son of Frankenstein (1939) with Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone. On Leg End. Well that explains the inspiration for the ending of Terminator 2. .

NASA's unexplained files S2 E1. Apollo 12: the moon rings like a bell after the ascent stage crashes into it. Robert White in an X15 sees a UFO alongside at Mach 5.

Keksburg "crash" 9th dec 1965. Blue glowing 10 foot tall "acorn". Allegedly a Russian probe headed to Venus.

Water ice on Mercury's pole in impact craters that don't see the sun, having no spin inclination.

Tunguska comet.

The Monolith on Phobos.

The "lightning strike" in the photograph of the Colombia reentry.

S2 E2. Dec 29 1980. Dayton Tx. UFO. Radiation burns. Black helos.

Apollo 17 photographs faked. Along with the landings.

Desert varnish: source unknown, also exists on Mars.

Shuttle Atlantis mission STS27 heatshield damage on takeoff. Classified.

4 Orb Lights over lake. ?Caused by earthquakes? Alaska. July 1st 1973.

Mercury "spider legs" pattern around crater.

Triton in retrograde orbit around Neptune.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 December 2023, 00:56.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

After a very windy night which has now died down, it's grey over much of the sky towards the east, but there's a band of blue fringed by white wispiness to the west. Things seem quite changeable though, and rain of some kind is expected in an hour or two. Mild enough at 7°C and maybe getting to 11° by sunset, with nighttime temperatures not dipping below 8°; the barometers aren't up far at 989/997mB

A fairly decent night's sleep has brought out the aches and pains arising from yesterday's accident. The pavement got a low blow in to the base of my ribs towards the right, so there's a persistent ache there, and my right shoulder doesn't seem too happy either. The various cuts and grazes to the hand and head aren't feeling much better yet either

Comment

Lunch: cold cocktail sausages and a bag of plain crisps

Rainy out

Comment

Working...
                      X