• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    Charity dinner/auction was a very enjoyable affair, although it became a bit expensive.
    There were about 10 things listed on the programme as being up for auction, but some extra lots had been brought along by the charity’s CEO. A couple of coffee table books and a couple of pictures.
    The first auction items were mostly local things, so not appropriate for us. I refrained from bidding.
    One of the books was about a lion we had seen in the Mara. I pulled out at about £120.
    The second to last lot was a picture of a lioness and her cubs. Absolutely stunning unmounted print. I stopped at £160.
    The last lot was a framed picture of a famous elephant called Tim who died in 2020 aged 51. He was one of the big tuskers.
    Well, long story short, once the bidding got above £300, there were only two of us in it, me and the bloke behind a certain online media site that tends to Fail on a Daily basis.
    Anyway, it just fitted into the back of our car and is now hanging in the lounge.

Good job that I had a discussion on Friday. They are going to come back with plans for the project they need me for and the approx timeline, and then I will advise them of my new rate. Should be sorted in the next 3 weeks.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dragged it out as long as I could, but final CT bill payed before Fridays deadline.

Now to close down the company
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Lunch has been a pork cutlet (deboned) in a wholemeal bap with apple sauce

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Dragged it out as long as I could, but final CT bill payed before Fridays deadline.

Now to close down the company
            End of an era

Comment

Been informed that an extension is "being processed". Current contract doesn't even run out until February

Didn't ask how long it'll be for though. Could be an extra fortnight for all I know

Comment

Tea: fish fingers, chips and beans

The opal hunters were into the machinery failure stage of their respective endeavours this evening

And earlier, an episode of the thing about the Highways Agency, who were chasing sheep on the motorway

In the midst of this veritable world of entertainment, I finally managed to sort out the GKStateMachine/SwiftUI/@Observable thing, such that I now have a working representation of a traffic light

I'm not sure how useful that will turn out to be but as far as I can tell, nobody else has stitched those technologies together in that particular way, so it's an achievement of sorts

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

After a rainy night, at least when I went to sleep, it's a reasonably clear morning which will probably become quite bright shortly, when the sun gets a bit higher. Only 3°C so far though, and no higher than 6° expected, followed by a frosty night. The barometers are back up a bit at 999/1007mB

This day a year ago, I spent the morning waiting to hear from the solicitor that I had succeeded in buying this flat!

Comment

Morning all
                    Murky but dry out on our perambulation.
                    Nearly month end
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Cold in here at 12.5 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 10 deg in the leanto, 5.5 deg in the salting house.

1009 mBar, 29.796 in Hg, 756.8 Torr, 14.634 psi, (up from 1006 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 62% RH (Lidl electric).

Shirts in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 1st of August 2019 there was much discussion of the 50k saga of yore, where the 50k post isn't at 50k any more. .

Shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away. 34 out, 153 back which last took a roundabout route I've never previously experienced but got me across the river about 35 seconds faster than waiting for the 34.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: Y&Y with wailing & gnashing of teeth over the housing market.

Shirts in off the line & in the TD.

Shirts out of the TD and awaiting the iRon.

Smalls in off the line & in the TD.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine and increasing gloom.

Smalls out of the TD.

Shirts roughly iRoned & airing upstairs.

Smalls airing upstairs, the lost sock turned out to have fallen on the floor when being taken out of the TD.

Entertainment: The Infinite Monkey Cage S15 "How to beat the house".

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

Wheeler Dealers S8 E7 DeLorean. It's short of the flux capacitor.

Scotland Yard "The Last Train (1960)" (actually 1959 but there you go). Middle aged chap with much younger wife is shot on the last tube train of the day. Watch smuggling from Switzerland. Jack May as a customs officer type chap.

Classic Literature & Cinema: Dystopia. Otherwise known as "Real Life".

Maigret Sets a Trap (1996). Serial killer in Paris. The button one.

Massive Engineering Mistakes on Quest. New Orleans Hotel construction collapse: how not to build a hotel. North Carolina university wooden gluelam bridge collapse: stress raising notch. Denmark wind turbine failure: brake fault. Houston Tx bridge: they caught this one before building it.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 November 2023, 09:42.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X