• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon all

Sunny with a bit of cloud. Currently 21 degrees, that being the high for the day. Barometer down to 1016 mBar.

Had a nice lie in then discovered I had no hot water for a shower (turns out when the electrician did safety checks on Wednesday he probably turned the power off at the fuse box rather than properly turning the boiler off first and then restarting it). A quick reset and all was back to normal. I haven't yet checked my office PC to see how it coped but the little micro PC in the living room survived ok.

Laundry continues apace. Dark shirts and dresses are in at the moment.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
    Indonesia raise the minimum age at which women can marry to 19 years old, 2019

Comment

A productive Friday afternoon meeting has come to an end.

...OK, it was a meeting with Andreas Stihl's offspring.

...OK, I was cleaning and sharpening two of my chain saws.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Celebrating the start of the weekend with an extremely indulgent strawberry tart from the Sainsbury's patisserie counter

Comment

Tea has been M&S southern not-fried chicken and fries, with lashings of ketchup

I think their coating is slightly better than Sainsbury's because it's a little more peppery. But there's not much in it.

Comment

Is it that time already? My word!

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was one of those time travelling things that leaves you pretty sure you'll have to watch it another two or three times to be remotely certain you've worked out what's going on before you can even start working out what it's about, and none the worse for that: Primer (2004). I'll let you know what I thought of it two weeks ago last Tuesday, when you get there

And then a rewatch of Beverly Hills Cop (1984) and Beverly Hills Cop II (1987). The first: very good. The second: not very good. Watching them back to back, one wonders how Eddie Murphy managed to lower his standards of what lines he'd utter in what contexts so far between the two films, given that he presumably had more clout and creative control over the second. But Hollywood can be a weird beast

Finally, about time I got back to The Americans: S5E9 IHOP (TV Episode 2017) and S5E10 Darkroom (TV Episode 2017)

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning - nice to know I was awake before Nick went to bed
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Morning.

Grey. Very grey.

Sunless.

20 deg in here.

1010 mBar, 29.83 in Hg, 757.56 Torr, 73% RH.

Saturday by all reports.

Walk walked.

Oik fisherperson up by the res polluting the atmosphere with his "music".

Inspired by a thread Specifically In General, I first thought of "Synchronicity" but that wasn't quite it.

Then, by typing "Rupert Mandrake" into the godlike AI known as google, up pops "Rupert Sheldrake" and "morphic resonance".

We are doomed.

Well on the way to "The Second Sleep" when it all goes tits up.

Either that or "Terminator", one or the other.

Minor potching in the garden relating to The Lack of Wall to clip the cable thereon.

Strimmed and pruned in the area concerned so at least I can see what is the needful doings there.

Entertainment in the greyness: "Deep Impact (1998)" with Morgan "The Voice of God" Freeman and Elijah Wood.

That was rather good in its way & probably better for not having Bruce Willis in it.

Followed by Freecell: 100% of 10 plays, running average 84% (84.16%).

Nothing else televisual has appealed much, so I read more of the Current Book (as listed elsewhere) for a while.

Still nothing to watch, so it was a case of typing random stuff into google and seeing what gets found.

One of which was a reference to the death certificate of the daughter of a friend.

Quite a few people I've worked with have popped their clogs.

Though I suspect the ex HR twat from the Sloughe of Desponde is still breathing, more's the pity.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 September 2021, 22:30.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Lovely blue sky from my vantage point. It's 22 degrees and the high is expected to be 23. Barometer down a touch to 1015 mBar.

Had a fab night out yesterday, many cocktails followed by a delicious dinner. Got home about 1 am

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  'Voyager I' takes the first distant photograph of the Earth and the Moon together 1977

Comment

Laundry was completed yesterday and all is drying nicely.

Checked my main PC for any fallout from Wednesday's uncontrolled shut down and that all seems fine. My two Synology nas boxes have also survived.

Now to battle BA over cancelling a booking because I fear they will say there's a fee for it being within 3 weeks of departure but they wouldn't take my call yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Is it that time already? My word!

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was one of those time travelling things that leaves you pretty sure you'll have to watch it another two or three times to be remotely certain you've worked out what's going on before you can even start working out what it's about, and none the worse for that: Primer (2004). I'll let you know what I thought of it two weeks ago last Tuesday, when you get there

And then a rewatch of Beverly Hills Cop (1984) and Beverly Hills Cop II (1987). The first: very good. The second: not very good. Watching them back to back, one wonders how Eddie Murphy managed to lower his standards of what lines he'd utter in what contexts so far between the two films, given that he presumably had more clout and creative control over the second. But Hollywood can be a weird beast

Finally, about time I got back to The Americans: S5E9 IHOP (TV Episode 2017) and S5E10 Darkroom (TV Episode 2017)

Goodnight all
                      Actually saw Primer and the more times you watch it the more sense it makes. Definitely worth a watch,
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X